Dell Dimension XPS T450 upgrade

I'm thinking of upgrading my Windows 98 SE operating system to Windows XP on
my Dell Dimension XPS T450 . I have 384 MB of ram and plenty of extra room
on the hard drive.

Would anyone know if XP would work with my current configuration and should
I expect to lose any information on my hard drive.

Thanks...

Run the MS upgrade utility. It'll check out all your hardware and
software for compatibility issues. It's a big d/l (over 30 megs) so a
broadband connection is just about required.

Try this url---

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/howtobuy/upgrading/advisor.asp

I've got the same system, but with 640 megs. There were "some" issues.
And, given the Sasser worm problems of last week, I'm just a little
hesitant to change my OS.

Tom S.

imalpo wrote:
> I'm thinking of upgrading my Windows 98 SE operating system to Windows XP on
> my Dell Dimension XPS T450 . I have 384 MB of ram and plenty of extra room
> on the hard drive.
>
> Would anyone know if XP would work with my current configuration and should
> I expect to lose any information on my hard drive.
>
> Thanks...

I have the same machine. WinXP is fine. My Turtle Beach sound cord was
supposed to be incompatible but it works OK.

Do a clean install of XP. Have all your data in another partition or backed
up before you wipe Win 98.

Brian

"imalpo" <imalpo@optonline.net> wrote in message
> I'm thinking of upgrading my Windows 98 SE operating system to Windows XP
on
> my Dell Dimension XPS T450 . I have 384 MB of ram and plenty of extra room
> on the hard drive.
>
> Would anyone know if XP would work with my current configuration and
should
> I expect to lose any information on my hard drive.
>
> Thanks...

TRENDING THREADS