Dell False Advertising

i received the Dell July flyer today in the mail. i tried to place an order
for a Canon Powershot S2Is camera today. After 20 minutes back and forth and
hold time, they refused to take the order because it was too backordered.
The day the catalog came out they refused all orders for it. i am arguing
now with them. Customer nonservice was worthless, and I am awaiting a
supervisor. I doubt it will get me anywhere. They had a good price, but
apparently it is lie. I wish someone would sue for false advertising/bait
and switch.

Jeff B wrote:

> i received the Dell July flyer today in the mail. i tried to place an order
> for a Canon Powershot S2Is camera today. After 20 minutes back and forth and
> hold time, they refused to take the order because it was too backordered.
> The day the catalog came out they refused all orders for it. i am arguing
> now with them. Customer nonservice was worthless, and I am awaiting a
> supervisor. I doubt it will get me anywhere. They had a good price, but
> apparently it is lie. I wish someone would sue for false advertising/bait
> and switch.

There's usually an "as long as supplies last" clause, be it written
or not.

Notan

"Jeff B" <JBlank@warwick.net> wrote in

> i received the Dell July flyer today in the mail. i tried to
> place an order for a Canon Powershot S2Is camera today. After 20
> minutes back and forth and hold time, they refused to take the
> order because it was too backordered. The day the catalog came
> out they refused all orders for it. i am arguing now with them.
> Customer nonservice was worthless, and I am awaiting a
> supervisor. I doubt it will get me anywhere. They had a good
> price, but apparently it is lie. I wish someone would sue for
> false advertising/bait and switch.

I'm sure you could sue Dell for the actual loss you incurred. How
much was that?

Jeff B wrote:
> i received the Dell July flyer today in the mail. i tried to place an order
> for a Canon Powershot S2Is camera today. After 20 minutes back and forth and
> hold time, they refused to take the order because it was too backordered.
> The day the catalog came out they refused all orders for it. i am arguing
> now with them. Customer nonservice was worthless, and I am awaiting a
> supervisor. I doubt it will get me anywhere. They had a good price, but
> apparently it is lie. I wish someone would sue for false advertising/bait
> and switch.

How is this False Advertising? They advertised the price but because
it was a good price, that lots and lots of people took advantage of the
deal. Dell had their backorder for it filled up. So you are blaming
Dell because you were too late to get on the deal. Better luck next time.

How is this Bait & Switch? Did they say one price and than give a
number? Of course not.

First of all its Bait & Switch/false advertising because the day the
catalogue came out they were not taking orders for it but Would sell me
another "similar" camera. Fortunately Staples was willing to match the price
anyway since it was advertised and Dell opened a store in my area.

"Jeff B" <JBlank@warwick.net> wrote in message
> First of all its Bait & Switch/false advertising because the day the
> catalogue came out they were not taking orders for it but Would sell me
> another "similar" camera. Fortunately Staples was willing to match the
> price anyway since it was advertised and Dell opened a store in my area.

It is still NOT 'Bait and Switch and they obviously WERE taking orders the
day it came out or there would not have been too many back-orders.

You may also want to look at the bottom of the page where it reads:

"
Prices, specifications, availability and terms of offer may change without
notice. Taxes are extra, and vary. May be combined with other select offers
or discounts. Valid for new U.S. online purchases through the Dell Home
Systems Electronics & Accessories site only. Offer does not apply to and is
not available with systems or items purchased through the online systems
configurator, refurbished items, or spare parts. Purchase limit of 10 same
items per order. Dell cannot be responsible for pricing or other errors, and
reserves the right to cancel orders arising from such errors. Continental
U.S. orders only.
"

By the way, they are currently available for order on-line.

Dan Sgambelluri wrote:
> Jeff B wrote:
>
>> i received the Dell July flyer today in the mail. i tried to place an
>> order for a Canon Powershot S2Is camera today. After 20 minutes back
>> and forth and hold time, they refused to take the order because it was
>> too backordered. The day the catalog came out they refused all orders
>> for it. i am arguing now with them. Customer nonservice was worthless,
>> and I am awaiting a supervisor. I doubt it will get me anywhere. They
>> had a good price, but apparently it is lie. I wish someone would sue
>> for false advertising/bait and switch.
>>
> How is this False Advertising? They advertised the price but because
> it was a good price, that lots and lots of people took advantage of the
> deal. Dell had their backorder for it filled up. So you are blaming
> Dell because you were too late to get on the deal. Better luck next time.
>
> How is this Bait & Switch? Did they say one price and than give a
> number? Of course not.

How is this Bait & Switch? Did they say one price and than give a
number? Of course not.

should be

How is this Bait & Switch? Did they say one price and than give a
another? Of course not.

amazon has the canon Powershot S1 IS 3.2Mpixel 10x optical zoom on sale for
$249.94 shipped free.

Jeff B wrote:
> First of all its Bait & Switch/false advertising because the day the
> catalogue came out they were not taking orders for it but Would sell me
> another "similar" camera. Fortunately Staples was willing to match the price
> anyway since it was advertised and Dell opened a store in my area.
>

> "Dan Sgambelluri" <dsgambelluri@shaw.ca> wrote in message
>
>>Jeff B wrote:
>>
>>>i received the Dell July flyer today in the mail. i tried to place an
>>>order for a Canon Powershot S2Is camera today. After 20 minutes back and
>>>forth and hold time, they refused to take the order because it was too
>>>backordered. The day the catalog came out they refused all orders for it.
>>>i am arguing now with them. Customer nonservice was worthless, and I am
>>>awaiting a supervisor. I doubt it will get me anywhere. They had a good
>>>price, but apparently it is lie. I wish someone would sue for false
>>>advertising/bait and switch.
>>
>>How is this False Advertising? They advertised the price but because it
>>was a good price, that lots and lots of people took advantage of the deal.
>>Dell had their backorder for it filled up. So you are blaming Dell
>>because you were too late to get on the deal. Better luck next time.
>>
>>How is this Bait & Switch? Did they say one price and than give a number?
>>Of course not.

but it is neither.

It is not bait and switch because, they did not say, you will pay this
price for one product and than switch and get you to get enhancements or
a different product or price. None of that happened.

It is not false advertising, as they had the deal, you were just to slow
to get it as others were quicker to get it as they got the deal.

"Jeff B" <JBlank@warwick.net> wrote in message
> First of all its Bait & Switch/false advertising because the day the
> catalogue came out they were not taking orders for it but Would sell
me
> another "similar" camera. Fortunately Staples was willing to match the
price
> anyway since it was advertised and Dell opened a store in my area.

Bait & Switch = Hey buddy buy this here camera for 50 bucks. Get home
open the box and find a different camera in it.

False Advertising = Hey buddy I know this girl who would be just perfect
for you. Want to meet her? Get to the place and it's a guy in drag.

Rich

On Fri, 8 Jul 2005 15:51:56 -0400, "Steve W." <Dugdug56@what.com>
wrote:

>"Jeff B" <JBlank@warwick.net> wrote in message
>> First of all its Bait & Switch/false advertising because the day the
>> catalogue came out they were not taking orders for it but Would sell
>me
>> another "similar" camera. Fortunately Staples was willing to match the
>price
>> anyway since it was advertised and Dell opened a store in my area.
>>

>Bait & Switch = Hey buddy buy this here camera for 50 bucks. Get home
>open the box and find a different camera in it.
>
>False Advertising = Hey buddy I know this girl who would be just perfect
>for you. Want to meet her? Get to the place and it's a guy in drag.

i agree with you on the false advertising definition but not on B&S.
one online dictionary defines B&S as: "A sales tactic in which a
bargain-priced item is used to attract customers who are then
encouraged to purchase a more expensive similar item"

your definition of B&S is theft by deception. the OP wasn't the
victim of B&S but rather demand outstripping supply.

73,
rich, n9dko

Yes thanks but the S2 Is is a newer/better product.

> amazon has the canon Powershot S1 IS 3.2Mpixel 10x optical zoom on sale
> for $249.94 shipped free.
>
> "Jeff B" <JBlank@warwick.net> wrote in message
>> First of all its Bait & Switch/false advertising because the day the
>> catalogue came out they were not taking orders for it but Would sell me
>> another "similar" camera. Fortunately Staples was willing to match the
>> price anyway since it was advertised and Dell opened a store in my area.
>>

>> "Dan Sgambelluri" <dsgambelluri@shaw.ca> wrote in message
>>> How is this False Advertising? They advertised the price but because
>>> it was a good price, that lots and lots of people took advantage of the
>>> deal. Dell had their backorder for it filled up. So you are blaming
>>> Dell because you were too late to get on the deal. Better luck next
>>> time.
>>>
>>> How is this Bait & Switch? Did they say one price and than give a
>>> number? Of course not.

WRONG! They did try to get me to buy something else. Per one of the sales
people they stopped taking orderes "a while ago". If an item is advertised
then a business should atleast make an attempt to take orders/sales the day
it the ad comes out. Dell did not do this.

"PC Medic" <not@home.com> wrote in message

> "Jeff B" <JBlank@warwick.net> wrote in message
>> First of all its Bait & Switch/false advertising because the day the
>> catalogue came out they were not taking orders for it but Would sell me
>> another "similar" camera. Fortunately Staples was willing to match the
>> price anyway since it was advertised and Dell opened a store in my area.
>>

> It is still NOT 'Bait and Switch and they obviously WERE taking orders the
> day it came out or there would not have been too many back-orders.
>
> You may also want to look at the bottom of the page where it reads:
>
> "
> Prices, specifications, availability and terms of offer may change without
> notice. Taxes are extra, and vary. May be combined with other select
> offers or discounts. Valid for new U.S. online purchases through the Dell
> Home Systems Electronics & Accessories site only. Offer does not apply to
> and is not available with systems or items purchased through the online
> systems configurator, refurbished items, or spare parts. Purchase limit of
> 10 same items per order. Dell cannot be responsible for pricing or other
> errors, and reserves the right to cancel orders arising from such errors.
> Continental U.S. orders only.
> "
>
> By the way, they are currently available for order on-line.

I relooked at the page with the ad. The below paragraph IS NOT on that page
or the next page. As a matter of fact, in the July catalog I received I do
not see that or any other paragraph suggestting limited quantities. The
camera was on page 44 in my catalog. Anyone else see this limityation in
that catalog? What page?

"PC Medic" <not@home.com> wrote in message

> "Jeff B" <JBlank@warwick.net> wrote in message
>> First of all its Bait & Switch/false advertising because the day the
>> catalogue came out they were not taking orders for it but Would sell me
>> another "similar" camera. Fortunately Staples was willing to match the
>> price anyway since it was advertised and Dell opened a store in my area.
>>

> It is still NOT 'Bait and Switch and they obviously WERE taking orders the
> day it came out or there would not have been too many back-orders.
>
> You may also want to look at the bottom of the page where it reads:
>
> "
> Prices, specifications, availability and terms of offer may change without
> notice. Taxes are extra, and vary. May be combined with other select
> offers or discounts. Valid for new U.S. online purchases through the Dell
> Home Systems Electronics & Accessories site only. Offer does not apply to
> and is not available with systems or items purchased through the online
> systems configurator, refurbished items, or spare parts. Purchase limit of
> 10 same items per order. Dell cannot be responsible for pricing or other
> errors, and reserves the right to cancel orders arising from such errors.
> Continental U.S. orders only.
> "
>
> By the way, they are currently available for order on-line.

Oh please. It was popular. They ran out. Live with it.
>I relooked at the page with the ad. The below paragraph IS NOT on that page
>or the next page. As a matter of fact, in the July catalog I received I do
>not see that or any other paragraph suggestting limited quantities. The
>camera was on page 44 in my catalog. Anyone else see this limityation in
>that catalog? What page?
>

> "PC Medic" <not@home.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Jeff B" <JBlank@warwick.net> wrote in message
>>> First of all its Bait & Switch/false advertising because the day the
>>> catalogue came out they were not taking orders for it but Would sell me
>>> another "similar" camera. Fortunately Staples was willing to match the
>>> price anyway since it was advertised and Dell opened a store in my area.
>>>

>> It is still NOT 'Bait and Switch and they obviously WERE taking orders
>> the day it came out or there would not have been too many back-orders.
>>
>> You may also want to look at the bottom of the page where it reads:
>>
>> "
>> Prices, specifications, availability and terms of offer may change
>> without notice. Taxes are extra, and vary. May be combined with other
>> select offers or discounts. Valid for new U.S. online purchases through
>> the Dell Home Systems Electronics & Accessories site only. Offer does not
>> apply to and is not available with systems or items purchased through the
>> online systems configurator, refurbished items, or spare parts. Purchase
>> limit of 10 same items per order. Dell cannot be responsible for pricing
>> or other errors, and reserves the right to cancel orders arising from
>> such errors. Continental U.S. orders only.
>> "
>>
>> By the way, they are currently available for order on-line.

I tried to stay out of this but I can't ignore the unrealistic comments by
the pro-Dell group any longer.

"Oh, please." Oh please, indeed. Dell excepts orders for items being held
for "back order" every day. Why not just admit this was an advertising
gimmick(we in retail call it a "loss leader") that Dell offered a very low
price on and failed to place a limit on the sales. I can't find a limit,
either. Then Dell got surprised by the number who responded and to limit
their losses, they began refusing more orders. Not at all uncommon in the
retail business, but some what unethical, and possibly a violation the
Consumer Protection Laws in some states. Jeeeeez

"Jeff B" <JBlank@warwick.net> wrote in message news:42cf5437$1@news1.warwick.net...
>I relooked at the page with the ad. The below paragraph IS NOT on that page
> or the next page. As a matter of fact, in the July catalog I received I do
> not see that or any other paragraph suggestting limited quantities. The
> camera was on page 44 in my catalog. Anyone else see this limityation in
> that catalog? What page?

I see a * footnote [next to virtually all listed prices] which points to a "see
page 48 for important details" and on page 48 there are some words of
that nature. Such as...

"Prices, products and offers in the catalog are intended to last for the catalog
month, but they sometimes change. Call us or go to dell.com/july for the latest
information."

"We try our best to have all the products available for you when you order.
If not, we will suggest the best alternatives".

"We try hard to make sure all of the information in our catalogs is correct,
but sometimes mistakes do happen. Dell is not responsible for pricing or
other errors, and reserves the right to cancel orders arising from such errors"

But whatever. What corporations can legally get away with is one question,
what consumers should tolerate/condone is another. Lets say that Dell knew
that they had 5 in stock and could only accept orders for 5 more, but decided
to widely advertise availability in the hopes of attracting customers who would
settle for something else. That would be highly inappropriate and scummy in
my book, and I'd say give them hell. But what if Dell thought it would be able
to handle orders, and at some point after the adverts went out, learned that
Canon or one of its suppliers ran into an unexpected manufacturing problem
and wouldn't be able to come close to this year's production goals? Should
people be giving Dell hell for that? I don't think so. Unfortunately, it is likely
that we will never know all the details surrounding why Dell stopped accepting
orders for that camera. So how do you call it?

I'm guessing they actually ACCEPT orders (common mitake, like
insure/ensure).

My grocery store is out of at least one item in the weekly ad on the day it
starts every single week. Post a link to a consumer protection law that
says a vendor can't run out of an item on sale. It's not realistic. For all
you know they had 3 million of them an he was customer number 3,000,001

I find it entertaining when people throw out 'possibly a violation'. Prove
it.

Tom

Tom Scales wrote:

> I'm guessing they actually ACCEPT orders (common mitake, like
> insure/ensure).
>
> My grocery store is out of at least one item in the weekly ad on the day it
> starts every single week. Post a link to a consumer protection law that
> says a vendor can't run out of an item on sale. It's not realistic. For all
> you know they had 3 million of them an he was customer number 3,000,001
>
> I find it entertaining when people throw out 'possibly a violation'. Prove
> it.

Funny you should mention grocery stores... They seem to be one of the few
businesses that routinely issue "rain checks."

I'd imagine there's no law that says they "have to."

Notan

Your wrong Tom. I spoke to 4 people at Dell. They absolutely REFUSED to take
an order. Backorder or otherwise. I think I could deal with them taking a
backorder on the item, yes this does occur. But they would not under any
circustances take an order. I was told that the item is due in September.
Well yes that is far off but still that would be my decision not there's if
I wished to wait.

> I'm guessing they actually ACCEPT orders (common mitake, like
> insure/ensure).
>
> My grocery store is out of at least one item in the weekly ad on the day
> it starts every single week. Post a link to a consumer protection law
> that says a vendor can't run out of an item on sale. It's not realistic.
> For all you know they had 3 million of them an he was customer number
> 3,000,001
>
> I find it entertaining when people throw out 'possibly a violation'.
> Prove it.
>
> Tom
>

> "Irene" <girlsrule@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>I tried to stay out of this but I can't ignore the unrealistic comments by
>>the pro-Dell group any longer.
>>
>> "Oh, please." Oh please, indeed. Dell excepts orders for items being
>> held for "back order" every day. Why not just admit this was an
>> advertising gimmick(we in retail call it a "loss leader") that Dell
>> offered a very low price on and failed to place a limit on the sales. I
>> can't find a limit, either. Then Dell got surprised by the number who
>> responded and to limit their losses, they began refusing more orders. Not
>> at all uncommon in the retail business, but some what unethical, and
>> possibly a violation the Consumer Protection Laws in some states. Jeeeeez
>>
>> "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message
>>> Oh please. It was popular. They ran out. Live with it.
>>> "Jeff B" <JBlank@warwick.net> wrote in message

I never said anything about them taking the order. I suspect they got a
fixed number of them at great price, so they put them on sale. They ran out.

I don't understand why you think they have any obligation at all. I stand
behind my position. They ran out. So what. Look elsewhere.

How do you handle the Car TV ads where they advertise an incredible price on
a new car. You know they only have one at that price and it will be sold
before you drive over there.

Tom
> Your wrong Tom. I spoke to 4 people at Dell. They absolutely REFUSED to
> take an order. Backorder or otherwise. I think I could deal with them
> taking a backorder on the item, yes this does occur. But they would not
> under any circustances take an order. I was told that the item is due in
> September. Well yes that is far off but still that would be my decision
> not there's if I wished to wait.

>> I'm guessing they actually ACCEPT orders (common mitake, like
>> insure/ensure).
>>
>> My grocery store is out of at least one item in the weekly ad on the day
>> it starts every single week. Post a link to a consumer protection law
>> that says a vendor can't run out of an item on sale. It's not realistic.
>> For all you know they had 3 million of them an he was customer number
>> 3,000,001
>>
>> I find it entertaining when people throw out 'possibly a violation'.
>> Prove it.
>>
>> Tom
>>

>> "Irene" <girlsrule@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>>I tried to stay out of this but I can't ignore the unrealistic comments
>>>by the pro-Dell group any longer.
>>>
>>> "Oh, please." Oh please, indeed. Dell excepts orders for items being
>>> held for "back order" every day. Why not just admit this was an
>>> advertising gimmick(we in retail call it a "loss leader") that Dell
>>> offered a very low price on and failed to place a limit on the sales. I
>>> can't find a limit, either. Then Dell got surprised by the number who
>>> responded and to limit their losses, they began refusing more orders.
>>> Not at all uncommon in the retail business, but some what unethical,
>>> and possibly a violation the Consumer Protection Laws in some states.
>>> Jeeeeez
>>>
>>> "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message

Some one needs to read a few of the consumer protection laws.
I didn't say that I agreed with all of them, I said:

" possibly a violation the Consumer Protection Laws in some states. Jeeeeez"

Note the last word of my last sentence.

Jeff B wrote:
> First of all its Bait & Switch/false advertising because the day the
> catalogue came out they were not taking orders for it but Would sell me
> another "similar" camera. Fortunately Staples was willing to match the price
> anyway since it was advertised and Dell opened a store in my area.
>

> "Dan Sgambelluri" <dsgambelluri@shaw.ca> wrote in message
>
>>Jeff B wrote:
>>
>>>i received the Dell July flyer today in the mail. i tried to place an
>>>order for a Canon Powershot S2Is camera today. After 20 minutes back and
>>>forth and hold time, they refused to take the order because it was too
>>>backordered. The day the catalog came out they refused all orders for it.
>>>i am arguing now with them. Customer nonservice was worthless, and I am
>>>awaiting a supervisor. I doubt it will get me anywhere. They had a good
>>>price, but apparently it is lie. I wish someone would sue for false
>>>advertising/bait and switch.
>>
>>How is this False Advertising? They advertised the price but because it
>>was a good price, that lots and lots of people took advantage of the deal.
>>Dell had their backorder for it filled up. So you are blaming Dell
>>because you were too late to get on the deal. Better luck next time.
>>
>>How is this Bait & Switch? Did they say one price and than give a number?
>>Of course not.

As said before, you were just to slow to get the deal from Dell as they
probably had a limited stock of the camera. Unless you can prove the
Dell never intended to sell the camera that was in the deal at all. I
Doubt you can.

Did they say they matched the price for the similar camera?

Tom Scales wrote:
> I never said anything about them taking the order. I suspect they got a
> fixed number of them at great price, so they put them on sale. They ran out.
>
> I don't understand why you think they have any obligation at all. I stand
> behind my position. They ran out. So what. Look elsewhere.
>
> How do you handle the Car TV ads where they advertise an incredible price on
> a new car. You know they only have one at that price and it will be sold
> before you drive over there.
>
> Tom
> "Jeff B" <JBlank@warwick.net> wrote in message
>
>>Your wrong Tom. I spoke to 4 people at Dell. They absolutely REFUSED to
>>take an order. Backorder or otherwise. I think I could deal with them
>>taking a backorder on the item, yes this does occur. But they would not
>>under any circustances take an order. I was told that the item is due in
>>September. Well yes that is far off but still that would be my decision
>>not there's if I wished to wait.
>>

>>"Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message
>>
>>>I'm guessing they actually ACCEPT orders (common mitake, like
>>>insure/ensure).
>>>
>>>My grocery store is out of at least one item in the weekly ad on the day
>>>it starts every single week. Post a link to a consumer protection law
>>>that says a vendor can't run out of an item on sale. It's not realistic.
>>>For all you know they had 3 million of them an he was customer number
>>>3,000,001
>>>
>>>I find it entertaining when people throw out 'possibly a violation'.
>>>Prove it.
>>>
>>>Tom
>>>

>>>"Irene" <girlsrule@hotmail.com> wrote in message

another trick with the car ads is that they are usually for the car
dealer employees

User N wrote:

> "Jeff B" <JBlank@warwick.net> wrote in message
>
>> I relooked at the page with the ad. The below paragraph IS NOT on that
>> page or the next page. As a matter of fact, in the July catalog I
>> received I do not see that or any other paragraph suggestting limited
>> quantities. The camera was on page 44 in my catalog. Anyone else see
>> this limityation in that catalog? What page?
>

> I see a * footnote [next to virtually all listed prices] which points to
> a "see
> page 48 for important details" and on page 48 there are some words of
> that nature. Such as...
>
> "Prices, products and offers in the catalog are intended to last for the
> catalog
> month, but they sometimes change. Call us or go to dell.com/july for
> the latest
> information."
>
> "We try our best to have all the products available for you when you order.
> If not, we will suggest the best alternatives".
>
> "We try hard to make sure all of the information in our catalogs is
> correct,
> but sometimes mistakes do happen. Dell is not responsible for pricing or
> other errors, and reserves the right to cancel orders arising from such
> errors"
>
> But whatever. What corporations can legally get away with is one question,
> what consumers should tolerate/condone is another. Lets say that Dell knew
> that they had 5 in stock and could only accept orders for 5 more, but
> decided
> to widely advertise availability in the hopes of attracting customers
> who would
> settle for something else. That would be highly inappropriate and
> scummy in
> my book, and I'd say give them hell. But what if Dell thought it would
> be able
> to handle orders, and at some point after the adverts went out, learned
> that
> Canon or one of its suppliers ran into an unexpected manufacturing problem
> and wouldn't be able to come close to this year's production goals? Should
> people be giving Dell hell for that? I don't think so. Unfortunately,
> it is likely
> that we will never know all the details surrounding why Dell stopped
> accepting
> orders for that camera. So how do you call it?

Your major flaw here is that you're imputing motive to Dell - try
proving that in a US court! ;)

If you don't like Dell, buy a Gateway or some other brand. Do you post
all over Usenet insisting that the world *must* be as you think it
*should* be? Sounds like a lot of frustration to me.