Question Dell G3 17 3779 - Dual Graphics question

Jul 20, 2020
First off, a big warm Hiya from me, second post here,

I've just bought and paid for a Dell G3 17 3779 laptop, with the folowing spec:

17” Full HD Anti Glare Display

- 8th Gen Intel Core i7-8750H Processor 2.2GHZ (4.1 GHz Max Turbo)

- Nvidia GTX 1060 Max Q Graphics (6GB VRAM)

- 128 GB SSD+ 1TB HDD

- 8GB DDR4 RAM

The screenshots of it shows both Intel UHD 630, and GTX 1060 under Display Adapters in Device Manager. However the quick guide online under video specs says Integrated "Not Supported" with the GTX 1060 as Discreet.

So why do both show up in Device Manager? Is it not hybrid? I was kinda hoping it'd use the Intel for Windows and light use, and the GTX 1060 for heavy use like games.

Not had a play yet as it hasn't arrived, but can anyone shed light? Thanks in advance,

Your friendly fellow caped SuperGeek

Lutfij

Titan
It's not a hybrid solution. There's a GPU found in your processor and then you have the discrete GTX 1060 Max-Q version GPU. When the system doesn't need the discrete it should switch over without you noticing. Also, might want to make sure you're on the latest BIOS update for your laptop as well as the latest version for your OS, not to mention the drivers.

I'd advise to reinstall the OS, after you've created the installer using Windows Media Creation Tools.

Jul 20, 2020
It's not a hybrid solution. There's a GPU found in your processor and then you have the discrete GTX 1060 Max-Q version GPU. When the system doesn't need the discrete it should switch over without you noticing.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that the whole point of hybrid? I found this link: nVidia Hybrid Graphics. Even though it says only under Vista and 7. I've heard them called Switchable Graphics too, if that's the right term than Hybrid.

Also, might want to make sure you're on the latest BIOS update for your laptop as well as the latest version for your OS, not to mention the drivers.

I'd advise to reinstall the OS, after you've created the installer using Windows Media Creation Tools.

I will do, as well as new Artic Silver thermal paste and pads. Standard procedure for me on every used machine I buy for either refurbishing or keeps. I especially make sure older systems have any Spectre/Meltdown BIOS updates. I'm going to use the Dell tool for reimaging the system to keep it factory in case I sell it. I'm wary of modern laptops with the GPU on the mainboard, expensive to fix if it dies and I've had a few bite me through thermal cycling, including faulty VRAM. I have vacuum rework equipment but sourcing chips just ain't worth it. I may keep it, I may clean up, service and sell it. Dunno yet :)

The old Precision M6600 I'm using now has everything removable, and it's an all metal chassis that even the plastic is screwed to, with MXM GPU. They don't make 'em like this old girl any more, they're all throwaway plastic <Mod Edit>, even the £2-3,000 Alienwares! Gaming laptops are becoming an afterthought, built like Apple crap.

Regards,

Your friendly caped SuperGeek

Last edited by a moderator: