Question Dell G3 17 Performance Issues in HDMI out?

Apr 10, 2020
I seem to be running into some performance issues when outputting my video via HDMI out to a 1920x1080 monitor while gaming on my G3 17 laptop (laptop so I can game on my couch while wife watches TV).

Long story short, my games seem to run fine and smooth when gaming on my laptop screen. However, I seem to notice a drop in performance when outputting via hdmi to a 1920x1080 monitor or TV. I know my laptop is a low/mid-range gaming machine at best, so I'm not expecting to run things on high and still get excellent FPS.

However, even in medium to medium-high setting, my games seem to experience FPS drops and slowdowns where they don't normally happen. This isn't a short term thing either. I can play a game (ie Path of Exile) for 30 minutes fine without slowdowns. However, once connected to a monitor via hdmi, the laptop seems to have issue running the game at the same performance under similar conditions.

I have tried extending display, duplicating display, and turning off laptop display to no effect. Is performance slowdown due to hdmi limitations a thing or am I imagining things?

PC specs:
Dell G3 17
i5-8300 @ 2.30 GHz
16gb RAM
Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 Max-Q 6gb
Games running on Samsung T5 SSD connected via USB-C

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2020
Hiya Vipgundam,

Have you tried updating your nVidia drivers, and/or BIOS? There's a recent BIOS update on the Dell Support site. Try the latest nVidia drivers first, and let us know how it goes. The 1060 Max Q is a lower spec GPU compared to its big sister desktop card, but should be able to drive both internal screen, and one external.

I've bought one of these myself, so once it gets here I'll be able to play around and help you.

Regards,

Your caped SuperGeek

Last edited:
The laptops screen is 1080p? If yes the I would have expected an external 1080p monitor to run the same.

What are the cpu and gpu temperatures when using the laptop screen for gaming compared to the monitor?