[SOLVED] Dell G3 3590 undervolting - BIOS downgrade

manistar

Prominent
Oct 12, 2019
Hi, I want to undervolt my G3 3590 (9300H+1650), because of very high temps at idle.
I've downgraded to BIOS 1.8.0 (on this version undervolting working; later versions not, because of Plundervolt issue), then I've reset "default factory settings" in BIOS and after that I've disabled automatic BIOS update in BIOS.
After that, I've installed Intel XTU, to check, if downgrade were successful, but I still have greyed voltages ... ThrottleStop is similar - settings doesn't make effect

Did I something wrong? It looks like, that I can't from some reason fully downgrade to BIOS 1.8.0 from the newest (1.12.0) ... Does anyone know how to fix it?
Below are screenshots - greyed XTU on Bios 1.8.0.

Thanks for advices and responses!

HhOvTfV.jpg

zP78ONi.png

Solution
XTU blocked the 9300h from undervolting (it used to work as seen in Youtube videos). If you check the supported CPUs, it is not listed. Use throttlestop on bios version 1.8 and it works for me.

Lutfij

Titan
FYI, BIOS tinkering via upgrades and downgrades can sometimes corrupt BIOS. I'd advise against it.
  1. You don't need to downgrade the BIOS, you can update the BIOS gradually to the latest version.
  2. You will need to use ThrottleStop in order to acheive your undervolting goals.
  3. You should follow through this guide on how to use TS and be sure to use this as well.
Hope you get better temps, I've done the above on pretty much 10 laptops about now. You should try and get a better quality thermal paste as your next step for better temps.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead

manistar

Prominent
Oct 12, 2019
FYI, BIOS tinkering via upgrades and downgrades can sometimes corrupt BIOS. I'd advise against it.
  1. You don't need to downgrade the BIOS, you can update the BIOS gradually to the latest version.
  2. You will need to use ThrottleStop in order to acheive your undervolting goals.
  3. You should follow through this guide on how to use TS and be sure to use this as well.
Hope you get better temps, I've done the above on pretty much 10 laptops about now. You should try and get a better quality thermal paste as your next step for better temps.

But Dell on new versions of BIOS LOCKED undervolting (due to Plundervolt), so I can't undervolt on the newer versions. Last version, where was undervolting working was 1.8.0. ....

manistar

Prominent
Oct 12, 2019
XTU blocked the 9300h from undervolting (it used to work as seen in Youtube videos). If you check the supported CPUs, it is not listed. Use throttlestop on bios version 1.8 and it works for me.

Ok, I'll try it once again, because when I did it last time in ThrottleStop - it looked like, that settings didn't make effect, when I undervolted CPU approx - 500 mV ...
Or maybe I did something wrong in ThrottleStop - it needs to be reseted in some way after BIOS downgrade (i just downloaded it, unpacked it and run it) ... ?

Also, it's not a great idea to have TS and XTU running together. They conflict with one and other for certain settings. I prefer TS, as XTU undervolts the CPU and cache together. Whereas TS does them independently. This helps with stability.

What are you using to check if the undervolt has taken? HWMon is pretty good for that.

Reactions: manistar

manistar

Prominent
Oct 12, 2019
Also, it's not a great idea to have TS and XTU running together. They conflict with one and other for certain settings. I prefer TS, as XTU undervolts the CPU and cache together. Whereas TS does them independently. This helps with stability.

What are you using to check if the undervolt has taken? HWMon is pretty good for that.

I checked it in XTU (screenshots above), but in HWMon, or in HWiNFO it didn't occur to me, so I'll try it again