Review Dell G3223Q 32-inch 4K Gaming Monitor Review: Exceptional Color Accuracy And Speed

cknobman

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
I am struggling to see the appeal of such an expensive monitor when it has such poor contrast, edge lit lighting, and fake "HDR".
With FALD, mini LED, and OLED out there now these edge lit monitors just dont cut it anymore.

saunupe1911

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2016
I am struggling to see the appeal of such an expensive monitor when it has such poor contrast, edge lit lighting, and fake "HDR".
With FALD, mini LED, and OLED out there now these edge lit monitors just dont cut it anymore.

Ok sooo who makes a 32 inch gsync compatible monitor with those technologies? Especially one under $1k with HDMI 2.1 and display port?

cknobman

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
Ok sooo who makes a 32 inch gsync compatible monitor with those technologies? Especially one under $1k with HDMI 2.1 and display port?

Well under $1k is hard to find in this specific size.
But if I was buying today there are several LG OLED 42-48 inches in size under $1k that would be worlds better than this dell.

For $1300 I'd personally get the Samsung Neo G7. Mini LED and completely worth the extra money.

Well under $1k is hard to find in this specific size. But if I was buying today there are several LG OLED 42-48 inches in size under $1k that would be worlds better than this dell.

^That is exactly what I did, bought the Gigabyte Aorus 48" OLED monitor for $799 ($999 with a $200 rebate which I received finally 3 months later). It is the LG C1 OLED panel which is native 120Hz and has more input options like a real monitor. I'll never go back to LCD/LED now. The deep black levels are what I remember from the plasma and CRT days - best option for gaming with a lot of night scenes or in my case, using MSFS to fly at night a lot. Even my very good LG 4K 32" VA monitor just looks too washed out.

Last edited:

saunupe1911

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2016
But if I was buying today there are several LG OLED 42-48 inches in size under $1k that would be worlds better than this dell.

For $1300 I'd personally get the Samsung Neo G7. Mini LED and completely worth the extra money.

Yeah still too expensive and too large. I don't want a monitor larger than 32 inches as I run dual setups. 32 inches is the sweet spot...that's what makes this monitor special. I love LG OLEDs being a 77 inch CX owner but I'm really waiting on Mini LED to get cheaper or for QD OLED to makes it's way to monitors before I upgrade my dual S3220DGF setup.

Jun 9, 2022
Maybe I missed it in the review, but what does "edge dimming" actually mean? What are these 8 dimming zones shaped like?

IMO reviews of displays like this need to weigh contrast much more heavily than color accuracy. This is not a display for photo/video professionals - as long as the color is close enough, contrast is a far more important factor in overall image quality. With an IPS panel and what sounds like a dubiously effective local dimming solution, I can't imagine the HDR is anything to write home about (with so few dimming zones, would it even be superior to a conventional backlight and the best native contrast LCD tech for most real-world material?)

Last edited:

colossusrage

Prominent
Jun 8, 2022

Exactly, 48" LG C1 is a crazy deal these days, sometimes going on sale for $800. GSync, 4K, OLED, and 120Hz with HDMI 2.1.

Alpha_Lyrae

Commendable
Nov 13, 2021

I agree for the most part. The G3223Q is absolutely terrible in DisplayHDR 600 mode, since local dimming zones are disabled and IPS glow is on another level of grey. Thankfully there are other modes.

I did try the LG 32GQ950, which is way too expensive, but HDR intensity far exceeds my LG C1 OLED. C1 dims when bright whites are on screen. 32GQ950 stayed extremely bright, which gives HDR games better ambiance and luminance. It did struggle in dark areas, as expected, and that’s where OLED, FALD, and mini-LED excel. Surprised 32GQ950 is only independent top-bottom local dimming zone edge lit. For the price, it should be FALD.

So, you still have to choose between extremely bright or infinite blacks (OLED). Micro and nano-LED can’t come soon enough.

Sopping_Wet

Prominent
Apr 13, 2022
The MSI Optix-MPG321UR-QD - especially since getting firmware updates in 2023 is by far the best 4k monitor @ 32", HDMI 2.1 x2 , Quantum Dot tech makes HDR600 look like HDR2000. <1ms lag closer to 0.5ms. All the features ever want. IPS. Really needs a fresh review. The premium color addition also makes it have the best color, performance screen ever seen for anywhere near this price