Review Dell G5 15 SE Review: AMD’s SmartShift Meets a Hot Potato

A bit bummer. I expected a "SmartShift" laptop, especially first one that will be its selling point to be a bit more.
Also, dell could grab laptop gaming crown with it, and they delivered toaster. (It annoys me that everyone ignores fan casing area as potential additional heat dissipation area, you could have both more thermal capacity and dissipation than, 3 pipes would fit then. My current one (also dell just older is no better)
Using integrated keyboard while gaming is very unpleasant.

I bet that laptop will end up with people modding the cooling....

Apr 1, 2020
The Zephyrus G14 is down to $1400 at Best Buy, so $70 more gets you a much better battery life, better screen, better speakers, and, going by HotHardware's review since TH didn't do a noise test, a quieter laptop...The 4 hours extra battery life alone is a reason to spend $70 more!

Suiton20

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2015
I got this laptop and have yet to see smartshift is actually working. I tried running blender and monster hunter. The adrenaline software doesn’t show any response if it’s giving power to the cpu or gpu. Maybe the driver doesn’t have smartshift detection and it’s doing it’s thing because it’s only flatlined right now

deksman

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011
A hot potato? Well, not surprising since it's a Dell laptop with AMD Components

Actually, AMD is not at fault here.
DELL completely messed up the cooling assembly and even allows CPU (4800H) to reach over 100 degrees Celsius.
In the Asus, 4800H operates at 90 degrees Celsius during a stress test.

Because DELL gave this unit weak cooling, neither the CPU or GPU can reach their maximum potential (also the battery capacity DELL put into it is not great).

deksman

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011
DELL completely messed up the cooling assembly and even allows CPU (4800H) to reach over 100 degrees Celsius.
In the Asus, 4800H operates at 90 degrees Celsius during a stress test.

Because DELL gave this unit weak cooling, neither the CPU or GPU can reach their maximum potential (also the battery capacity DELL put into it is not great).