[SOLVED] Dell G5 (5090) Gaming Desktop

Solution
It's not a bad system but dell puts alot of bloatware on their pics and sometimes uses proprietary parts. Here is a much better build for the same price

PCPartPicker Part List: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/MbXY9G

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($234.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard ($144.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($89.99 @ Memory Express)
Storage: Crucial P1 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($128.99 @ Vuugo)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB PULSE Video Card ($529.99 @ Mike's Computer Shop)
Case: NZXT H510 ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Power Supply: Corsair TXM Gold 550 W...

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Pretty fancy. Way more CPU than GPU, so a little off for your typical gaming machine.

For what it is it is okay, about a $200 up charge from what you could do on your own. I'm sure the motherboard is sub par and it does come with only an adequate power supply, so upgrades to larger GPUs will require a PSU upgrade.

Anyone building around a 9700k would probably go for a high end motherboard, high end cooling, and much faster memory to make it worthwhile in having a K series processor.

For the same money you could get better components, but no warranty. So if those trade offs are acceptable, it is a fine off the shelf computer.

It's not a bad system but dell puts alot of bloatware on their pics and sometimes uses proprietary parts. Here is a much better build for the same price

PCPartPicker Part List: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/MbXY9G

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($234.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard ($144.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($89.99 @ Memory Express)
Storage: Crucial P1 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($128.99 @ Vuugo)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB PULSE Video Card ($529.99 @ Mike's Computer Shop)
Case: NZXT H510 ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Power Supply: Corsair TXM Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($104.50 @ Vuugo)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($134.50 @ Vuugo)
Total: $1447.94
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-27 16:03 EST-0500

Reactions: Sharon D
Solution
Nov 21, 2019
Thank you both. :) There is an option to choose the RTX 2060 instead, but it would have increased the price, and I also figured with the 460w psu and not the best cpu cooler that it wouldn't be a good choice.

It would be only for moderate gaming, so the gtx 1660 ti should be okay. The motherboard is an intel H370, and I believe the psu is proprietary, as well. Will have to think about it before the Black Friday deals are over, it's a goodly chunk of change to spend.

A warranty is something I do want, and I'm not quite ready to build my own yet, but would really like to one day. For now, a prebuilt will have to do. I've checked all the best buy Black Friday deals, and except for some of the "open box" none really appealed to me. Already had a bad experience with open box and don't want to go that route again. lol

Nov 21, 2019
Well, I did end up ordering this rig yesterday, except added in the Killer wifi-6 too. Then today I went on their site to check something, and saw the specific configuration deal I chose the $200 ram upgrade now costs only $100!

I jumped on dell live-chat with a really nice sales dude to discuss it, and an hour later they re-did my order and applied a "promotional coupon". So this is what I ended up with in the end, with taxes it came to $1657 Canadian (about $1248 USD). Not too bad, I'm satisfied with the price. Just need to uninstall all the excess crap they preinstall, as well as everything running at start-up, and it'll be all good. lol

When I do decide to build my own rig eventually, I'll come straight here for your guy's help picking quality parts and any other help I need. :) Thanks again for your input.

https://www.dell.com/en-ca/shop/des...rationid=cd2a28bd-9db8-4405-bc4f-3a79f9055475

Last edited:

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Yeah, the PSU is a rather unique shape, though Dell does make that type of unit for other systems. With any luck they used the same wiring and you could just cram in a Dell Precision workstation PSU off the used market.

After these systems get a little older adapters tend to get made.

Based on their renders, the motherboard is proprietary though so transplanting to another case to get a standard power supply will probably take some effort.

Reactions: Sharon D
Nov 21, 2019
It's a server psu, I gather. Really wish it wasn't only 460w, but couldn't afford one of their pricier gaming machines, like the Aurora with 850w psu. Yup, it's a proprietary custom motherboard. I've read it's only an adequate mobo, but you make do when you're one a budget. lol

If I had more hardware knowledge and skills, it really would have been better to build my own with good components, but this will do me for now. Looking forward to it's arrival, and just in time for Christmas. :)