Question Dell G5 5500 Multiple Monitor Docking Station

Piers Sinclair

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2014
Hi Guys,

I am in Australia (relevant because of options for purchase, probably have to stick with manufacturer brands). I have a Dell G5 5500 (GTX 1650Ti) Laptop. I want to run 3 monitors on the laptop. I'm looking to buy a docking station and I am not sure which one to get.

Monitor Specs

1x 34" WQHD (3440 x 1440) @ 100Hz connected via Display port
2x 24" FHD(1920 x 1080) @ 144Hz connected via HDMI (but I could probably change it to display port in need)

Laptop ports
3x Usb
1x Display Port over USB Type-C
1x HDMI

I don't really care about charging, happy to use the laptop charger, so docking station that charges is just an added bonus.

What options do I have here and will I need to compromise on the refresh rate? Also if I use only the 2x 24" monitors, does that improve my options?

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
The way I see it, you can get a triple display setup, but that would mean you have the laptop's screen function as a display as well, meaning two external displays. The HDMI would cater to one panel while the Display Port/ USB-C port will cater to another and lastly the laptop's own panel.

You can't work with a dock since your laptop doesn't have a Thunderbolt port, which would've easily granted you to a dock/hub to have multiple(3) external displays.

Piers Sinclair

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2014
The way I see it, you can get a triple display setup, but that would mean you have the laptop's screen function as a display as well, meaning two external displays. The HDMI would cater to one panel while the Display Port/ USB-C port will cater to another and lastly the laptop's own panel.

You can't work with a dock since your laptop doesn't have a Thunderbolt port, which would've easily granted you to a dock/hub to have multiple(3) external displays.

But you can run the dock over USB-C right? using something like the Dell d6000 or the alogic triple monitor dock , I believe these should give me 3 monitors at least but my concern is the lower refresh rate. Are you saying that to get the higher refresh rate I needed a thunderbolt port?