Question DELL G5 5587 random shutdown even in BIOS after few minutes.

utsabbhattarai2

Reputable
Apr 6, 2016
Hello, I purchased Dell G5 5587 last year and it ran fine for about 8 months. However, now the laptop shuts down randomly after few minutes after boot up and even in BIOS. Started when I played games on it and it overheated. Undervolting cpu fixed it for a while. Now it back and very frequent even while undervolted. Not a temp problem.

After turning the PC back on it shows me 3 amber and a white light which is a CMOS battery failure and I have replaced the cmos battery with no such luck. I tested laptop without battery as well as ram module, wasnt it.
Also tried updating all drivers and BIOS and resetting PC as well as resetting BIOS. I also tried repasting and cleaning dust and heatsink. Fixed for a while and again its back.

It might be a fan problem as I have to make sure dell power manager is set to ultra performance mode every time and if not the fans simply wont run. Now it will last for a little while with fan running and temp around 53° , but will eventually shutdown at around 55°.

I am running out of ideas and my warranty just ran out. Appreciate any help.

Laptop Specs-
Dell g5 5587
16gb [8x2]
Core i5 8300h
Nvidia 1060 6gb Max Q

TRENDING THREADS