Question Dell G5 5590 Fan Control/Cooling Solution

Jester Maroc

Honorable
Apr 30, 2013
Dear Members,

I received my new Dell G5 5590 Laptop yesterday! Yay!

However, it is hitting 97c at times without any user load, just Windows background processes. I find this unacceptable and cannot comfortably place a load on the machine without some sort of cooling improvement.

The reason I eventually settled on this laptop is because I watched a few favourable reviews on Youtube where they praised Dell's new cooling solution. I sold my two previous Dell laptops (4th Gen Latitude, 6th Gen Precision) because of poor cooling and severe throttling issues.

I am still busy exploring options, don't have any spare thermal paste on hand to re-paste (though I am not fond of opening my brand new baby) so am stuck with finding a fan control solution atm. The included Alienware Control Center does nothing and the fans do not respond to any profile or curve I create.

Am busy updating all the Dell utilities via Dell Support Assist, but would love to hear from a user who has had to figure out a solution to the same issue. I am convinced it is simply a matter of the software not responding early enough to high thermals.

Thanks guys!

Last edited:

Jester Maroc

Honorable
Apr 30, 2013
Quick update.

Have updated the BIOS, updated the Dell Utilities, and set Dell Power Manager via the Thermal Management tab to Ultra Performance. The fans spin up way quicker but the temps haven't gone above 84c yet. Will be doing some gaming benchmarks this evening and if the temps stay under 85c or thereabouts I will be happy!

Relevant specs for the laptop are:
i5 9300H
GTX1650

Jester Maroc

Honorable
Apr 30, 2013
Hey Guys,
Another update. Sorry its so late but have been swamped with work so could not get to benchmarks or any testing.

So the Dell Power Manager is not able to control temps properly. I still face spikes up to 96c and am very disappointed. The worse part is that the Dell thermal solution on the laptop is excellent, but the software they utilize is terrible. The thermal management does not respond in time and allows the laptop to throttle before the fans spin up to control thermals. It is exactly how my previous Dell laptops performed.

I hope someone has a solution, cause if not I will have to ask Dell to take the laptop back as I cannot use a machine that throttles due to terrible software management of an excellent thermal solution.

Last edited:

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS