[SOLVED] Dell G5 5590 vs Lenovo Y540

Jul 31, 2019
I need a new laptop and i don't know what to choose between this two:
  • Dell G5 5590 - i5-9300H - 16GB RAM - GTX 1650 4GB - M.2 512 GB - 60Wh Battery --- 1000€ [With Ubuntu]
  • Lenovo Y540 - i5-9300H - 16GB RAM - GTX 1660Ti 6GB - M.2 512GB - 57Wh Battery --- 1040€ [FreeDoS, with Windows 1210€]
Now, the problem with the Y540 is that isn't officially supported with Linux systems, and i use Ubuntu as OS; i read on the internet that with Ubunto Kernel i will have some problems with internal features of Laptop ad i must do some bios stuff, that i won't do (Also boor performances in many cases).
With Windows, it cost around 1210€, a 200€ difference with the G5 for a 1660Ti, but the G5 have the Thunderbolt 3, so in future, if i want i can upgrade my GPU. (Ok maybe i can buy a cheap Key and download the Win10 free version)

Now, the point is that i'm a University student that needs a good laptop to work with programming, math software and other typical stuff, and, have decent hardware to do some casual gaming.

RAM and CPU are the same, GPU better for Y540 (but thunderbolt on G5), but this has some issues with Linux.
And i really don't know who has the best quality of construction and hardware.

What should i do?

Solution
I wouldn't ask you to look at places where you get cheap licence keys. Inf act Windows 10 can be used for free if you don't need to tinker with the innards.

I'd get the G5 if your research leads you to find that it's got zero issues when paired with Linux/Ubuntu.

Lutfij

Titan
I wouldn't ask you to look at places where you get cheap licence keys. Inf act Windows 10 can be used for free if you don't need to tinker with the innards.

I'd get the G5 if your research leads you to find that it's got zero issues when paired with Linux/Ubuntu.

Reactions: Asphixya
Solution
Jul 31, 2019

It's what i think, i mean, G5 it's the best choice for Linux, and have a better battery/ energy management, the Y540 has some poor battery durability.

Maybe the Legion it's a better Gaming option, but i think that for my needs Dell it's the deal.

P.S. I don't really know how it works with Win10 license, i mean i'm researching those days hot to not pay 190€ for official license, and i'm reading that yeah it's for free if you already have a Win7/8 version or if you buy a Key, but yes, the thing is if you want you can have it for free or at cheap level.