Dell G7 15 Laptop Review: Striking Design, Affordable Price

rasunin

Honorable
May 22, 2012
i stumbled upon this youtube video of a thai person reviewing the Dell G7 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3D261De7Rg0). to my surprise, the keyboard has white print instead of blue. it looked so much better!! (and clearer for the eyes too)

spagafus

Prominent
Jul 6, 2017
Other stuff to uninstall:
- Smartbyte software.
- Any Rivet Networks software or drivers.

Same if you have a Dell 7577 series. The Intel cards on these laptops work great without the so called "optimizations" that software is supposed to deliver. What you do get with Smartbyte/Rivet is inconsistent throughput and weird latency problems.

Several thoughts on this having owned two Dell gaming laptops over the past 12 years (which I will never do again to be explained last). First the good, then the bad:

1) Great price point for a GTX 1060 6GB laptop. Most at that point are 3GB versions from what I've seen.
2) Love the blue keyboard backlight. More soothing when gaming at night in low light levels.
3) Battery life is spectacular.

Now the bad:

1) That thick display bezel reminds me of a laptop or monitor made in the mid-00s. Fail.
2) Poor IPS display. Fail. I wonder what calibration can save it.
3) Lame 128GB SSD and 1TB 5200RPM HDD. Not a fail, but that requires at least an upgrade to a 2TB HDD long term for Steam and GOG games and preferably to a 7200RPM Western Digital Black.

The keyboard may not fit all preferences for everyone, but that's a laptop for you. I used a separate mouse and keyboard with my gaming laptops and connected them to either a PC monitor or HDTV when portable gaming like at a hotel or home of a relative on a holiday visit. That said, these things are so expensive for portable gaming and performance I decided to just go back to console (PS3/4). I've had my PS4 for four years now and a $1,000+ gaming laptop would have had to have been replaced at least once in that period to play newer games at playable frame rates.

Consoles > gaming laptops in bang for the buck and smart money long term. Totally different than desktop PCs where you can keep a four year old Intel chipset and throw in a new Nvidia GPU upgrade to play newer games at high quality settings.

Jul 3, 2018
The Dell G7 15 breathes new life into Dell’s mainstream gaming lineup, with sleek looks in new colors. It doesn’t just look good; It offers strong performance for the price and is extremely easy to upgrade.LOOK MORE INTRESTING TECH.........http://www.precandy.com/

Jul 24, 2018
I was wondering what the contrast and brightness values were for the 4k model. How does it compare to the 1080p model reviewed?