Question [DELL G7 7588] Overheating even after repaste

Feb 25, 2019
I have a Dell G7 7588 gtx 1060 model
I bought it for gaming but it keeps overheating, I searched online and have tried everything from downvolting,throttlestoop i even got the thermal paste reapplied but the laptop still hasnt stopped overheating and hence thermal throttling

The overheating only occurs while I game, when i stress test my cpu individually , it never overheats.
while i am gaming however , even though the cpu is at 40% usage max, it starts to overheat , the gpu still stays cool at 78 degrees max.
What do I do?

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS.

What are the brand and source of the thermal paste that you used?

CPU fan/cooling system?

PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition?

Gaming stresses the entire computer, not just the CPU.

My thought is that the PSU may no longer be capable of meeting the power demands when gaming.

My thought is that the PSU may no longer be capable of meeting the power demands when gaming.
Well this laptop is not a DIY rig, so one assumes if the 1060 is an authorized part Dell had plan its PSU to do the job.

Now if this 1060 is an add-on, the user failed to heed Dell admonition "GPU above xxx not recommended." Oh well, am out.

OP, are we sympatico with the fan's speed? is it working normally as it should, like it should be spinning at its max before starting the throttling.

Feb 25, 2019
78 Celsius is not overheating. You should not be experiencing any thermal throttling. Your performance issue is likely somewhere else. Try updating your drivers, and remove NVidia GeForce Experience if you have it.
I know but the cpu reaches 99 degrees , or rather whatever package temprature in intel XTU means, and then its starts thermal throttling.And this only happens while gaming when as i said cpu is at barely 50% usage, In stress tests with cpu at 100% nothing happens , it runs without any throttling.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2019
Well this laptop is not a DIY rig, so one assumes if the 1060 is an authorized part Dell had plan its PSU to do the job.

Now if this 1060 is an add-on, the user failed to heed Dell admonition "GPU above xxx not recommended." Oh well, am out.

OP, are we sympatico with the fan's speed? is it working normally as it should, like it should be spinning at its max before starting the throttling.
Yes , it gets fairly loud and hwinfo shows increase in fan speed .

I know but the cpu reaches 99 degrees
That would have been good to know in the OP. :)

Have you contacted Dell about it? This could be any number of things, but as long as the thermal paste application is good and the heatsink is secured and seated properly, it might be an issue at the CPU or with the cooling system (faulty fan, damaged heat pipe, etc).

I'm guessing its a unified heatsink design if temps only get that high during gaming; the pipes are probably sharing the load between both the CPU and GPU then.

Feb 25, 2019
That would have been good to know in the OP. :)

Have you contacted Dell about it? This could be any number of things, but as long as the thermal paste application is good and the heatsink is secured and seated properly, it might be an issue at the CPU or with the cooling system (faulty fan, damaged heat pipe, etc).

I'm guessing its a unified heatsink design if temps only get that high during gaming; the pipes are probably sharing the load between both the CPU and GPU then.
Warranty is not applicable where I live as i bought it from US but it I am in some other country , removing geforce has decreased the idle package temperature somehow, but throttling is still the same. I play a lot of games yet it only seems to happen in BO3 and R6Siege, games that i play in which this doesnt happen are Batman Arkham Knight, Ac oddessey , Witcher 3 etc. Does this make sense?

Warranty is not applicable where I live as i bought it from US but it I am in some other country , removing geforce has decreased the idle package temperature somehow, but throttling is still the same. I play a lot of games yet it only seems to happen in BO3 and R6Siege, games that i play in which this doesnt happen are Batman Arkham Knight, Ac oddessey , Witcher 3 etc. Does this make sense?
Some games put more emphasis on CPU usage than others. I don't know about the ones you mentioned, specifically, but it's possible some are putting more load on the CPU than others.

Did you double-check your thermal paste application? And which paste did you use (sorry if I missed where you mentioned it)?

Feb 25, 2019
Some games put more emphasis on CPU usage than others. I don't know about the ones you mentioned, specifically, but it's possible some are putting more load on the CPU than others.

Did you double-check your thermal paste application? And which paste did you use (sorry if I missed where you mentioned it)?
I am sorry i didnt mention it , but I just gave it in a shop to have it repasted , i dont know what brand it was or how it was applied, though i trust the shop enough to know they applied it carefully.

I am sorry i didnt mention it , but I just gave it in a shop to have it repasted , i dont know what brand it was or how it was applied, though i trust the shop enough to know they applied it carefully.
If they offer a service guarantee, you might consider bringing it back to them for a follow up. There's only so much you can do about overheating. If there's a defect with the cooling system or the chip, you'll need to have hardware replaced (and since you mentioned you can't claim warranty, I'm guessing you're back to having this shop help with any of that).

Feb 25, 2019
If they offer a service guarantee, you might consider bringing it back to them for a follow up. There's only so much you can do about overheating. If there's a defect with the cooling system or the chip, you'll need to have hardware replaced (and since you mentioned you can't claim warranty, I'm guessing you're back to having this shop help with any of that).
Yeah i guess i will bring it back to them, Thanks for the help