[SOLVED] Dell G7 7700 FPS drops (12 hours after return deadline thats when i knew i f'ed up)

Nov 6, 2021
This was posted on Dell community site. So don't be offended by some things you see in this post, its copypasta. Anybody have any ideas advice? No, I can't get a different PC (cause im not rich enough to afford a decent GPU with the market as is) and yes this is my only option.

So, I have a G7 7700 with a 1660 Ti. And randomly my FPS will go from 120 to 20. For no reason, watching temps ect, while they are toasty, they dont get 90+.

But if I change the thermal profile in AWCC (total garbage btw) from "Performance" to "Balanced" i get my FPS back for a short period of time. Bu you can repeat this process to atleast get you through your current task.

If I restart the system, I get another hour or two sometimes more before it does it again.

I've spoken with tech support and they say its a software problem and I need to purchase software support. To support, their software. Quite the racket they've built. Also, he had me uninstall AWCC OC Controls. Which is kinda funny since the G7 doesn't support OC and the 1660 would still boost to 1900ish mhz without OC controls. So all that did was remove my ability to change the thermal profile. Where do you get your tech agents from? Wait don't answer that...

Anyway, I've tried:

• Reinstalling the games (literally all of them, 700gb worth. On a 25mbit connection)
  • Reinstalled windows (If you want me to reinstall again, first tell me what screw ded (you cant say that word? are you people serious??) up the current installation otherwise you have no idea and are just throwing preverbal excrement at the wall hoping it sticks, you are not qualified to offer tech support.)
  • Reinstalled Video drivers, Rolled back drivers, I've tried 6 so far.
  • Adjusted settings within AWCC
  • Changed DPM thermal settings to "Ultra Performance" and set to "Primary AC use"
  • Set windows to force apps to use the 1660 Ti instead of onboard
  • Set nVidia to prefer 1660 instead of auto select
  • Updated bios after issues. Ie the bios didn't cause the problem.
Now, I've attempted all that without success. I've read about undervolting ect but my problem is this, IF this is truly a overheating issue then I was sold a PC that can't maintain advertised speeds and was therefore lied to along with anybody else that purchased one.

If its a software issue as tech support has stated, being that its ALL 3D rendered games, and that something as simple as changing the thermal profile in AWCC would tell me that its a proprietary software issue.

Furthermore, I didn't pick a Dell. Lack of options picked a Dell. In my opinion, their consumer products are garbage. I had a Dimension 4600. That was the last time I had a good experience with Dell, in 2004. So in 17 years I've had 1 good experience. Honestly, I will go without a PC before a purchase another Dell. inb4 simps that will say "I've never had a problem my PC runs amazing" thats YOU not me. My bad experience doesn't change because of your good one. That's not how this works.

If you want me to try something that I haven't tried let me know. If you tell me to do anything already listed, please refrain from using the internet.

Last edited:
Solution
D
Thanks for the response. It's my mistake. I did the latest bios update. I'll update my post.

Is this the model with intel or amd cpu?

If it's intel it sounds like it dumping down to the internal graphics.

3x places you can set maximum performance for power use.

1.AWCC
2.Nvidia Global Settings.
3.Regular Windows power settings.
D

Deleted member 362816

I have worked on this laptops and I own the g7 7700 2070 i7 etc.

DO THE BIOS UPDATE. If you have already done this let me know and we will dig deeper.

D

Deleted member 362816

Thanks for the response. It's my mistake. I did the latest bios update. I'll update my post.

Is this the model with intel or amd cpu?

If it's intel it sounds like it dumping down to the internal graphics.

3x places you can set maximum performance for power use.

1.AWCC
2.Nvidia Global Settings.
3.Regular Windows power settings.

Solution
Nov 6, 2021
  • AWCC - I don't know where you select the GPU in the software.
  • I've set it globally and for each application to only use Nvidia gpu.
  • The global power settings I'm not sure about. Dell has dell power manager. Which is set at ultra perfomance.

D

Deleted member 362816

• AWCC - I don't know where you select the GPU in the software.
  • I've set it globally and for each application to only use Nvidia gpu.
  • The global power settings I'm not sure about. Dell has dell power manager. Which is set at ultra perfomance.

In nvidia: Manage 3d- Power Managment Mode- Prefer Max Performance- it has to be set this way for my 2070 in my dell g to work correctly.

Nov 6, 2021
I did a little more investigating the temp. And I'm an idiot (PerfCap Reason was listed as Pwr. Thrm. in GPU-z I feel so stupid for missing that.) It is thermal throttling. Yay! It's not the answer I wanted but at least it is an answer. Time to get a Dell tech out to repaste or something idk? It's Dell so they will try to do nothing. like always. Thank you Captain for the help. You at least read the question. And I truly appreciate that.