[SOLVED] dell g7 7790 gpu frequency fluctuating in game

Solution
Yeah, it's the cpu alright. Even though it's very brief, 99C is simply not acceptable. That's enough to choke performance and disrupt your gaming experience.

This is a physical limitation of laptops themselves, and there's only so much you can do to remedy it:
-undervolting, or lowering power limits... that cpu has a TDP-down mode, doesn't it? Have you tried it already?
It caps power use to 35w instead of the default 45w.
-cooling pad
Dell simply didn't incorporate a big enough cooler in the G7 7790... had they done so, it'd be bigger, heavier, and would cost more.
They cut corners in the wrong place, if you ask me - but that's kind of the peoples' fault for demanding lighter and cheaper gaming laptops...

You are far from the only one...

packersfan036

Distinguished
May 27, 2015
Cpu and gpu temps in game?

Is that 1 or 2 sticks?
2 8gb sticks of ddr4 2666 in dual channel, temps are better now and the low fps lagging etc from the gpu has seemed to stop. i undervolted the cpu with throttlestop, and raised the power with the dell power program. seemed to work. temps sometimes 99c for less than a second. but sit in the mid to upper 80s most of the time. will keep testing. what do you think?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
temps sometimes 99c for less than a second. but sit in the mid to upper 80s most of the time. will keep testing. what do you think?
That's downright terrible - the 99C spike, that is. I've got no problem with the 80C averages, as that's normal for those kinds of laptops.
But, are you saying both the cpu and gpu are hitting 90C, or the cpu only? Well, either way, it's thermal throttling.

Are you already using a cooling pad?

For reference, here's the specs on the 9750H: http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Core_i7/Intel-Core i7 i7-9750H.html
As for the 2060, run Gpu-Z, click on the Advanced tab, then click on the Nvidia Bios in the drop-down box, and locate the Rated Thermal Limit.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Yeah, it's the cpu alright. Even though it's very brief, 99C is simply not acceptable. That's enough to choke performance and disrupt your gaming experience.

This is a physical limitation of laptops themselves, and there's only so much you can do to remedy it:
-undervolting, or lowering power limits... that cpu has a TDP-down mode, doesn't it? Have you tried it already?
-cooling pad
Dell simply didn't incorporate a big enough cooler in the G7 7790... had they done so, it'd be bigger, heavier, and would cost more.
They cut corners in the wrong place, if you ask me - but that's kind of the peoples' fault for demanding lighter and cheaper gaming laptops...

You are far from the only one experiencing this issue, and frankly speaking, manufacturers have hit the thermal wall for these high end gaming laptops.
In order for these machines to be able to cool worth a darn, larger cooling solutions will need to implemented... but that means making bigger and heavier laptops...
There comes a point where people can't be bothered with lugging around increasingly heavy gaming laptops to satisfy their gaming urges.

Your laptop's a little on the light side, at a little over 3kg, or 7lbs.
Then you've got THICC ones like the Msi GT75 Titan at 4 1/2 kg, or 10lbs. This one's obviously rocking a beefier cooler.
Can you even imagine 8 and 10 core gaming laptops? Who's going to want to carry those around?

Reactions: NightHawkRMX
Solution

packersfan036

Distinguished
May 27, 2015

-cooling pad

You are far from the only one experiencing this issue, and frankly speaking, manufacturers have hit the thermal wall for these high end gaming laptops.
In order for these machines to be able to cool worth a darn, larger cooling solutions will need to implemented... but that means making bigger and heavier laptops...
There comes a point where people can't be bothered with lugging around increasingly heavy gaming laptops to satisfy their gaming urges.

Your laptop's a little on the light side, at a little over 3kg, or 7lbs.
Then you've got THICC ones like the Msi GT75 Titan at 4 1/2 kg, or 10lbs. This one's obviously rocking a beefier cooler.
Can you even imagine 8 and 10 core gaming laptops? Who's going to want to carry those around?
what do you think of my undervolting solution? seems to be working great.