[SOLVED] Dell G8 - upgrade processor or graphics card?

jacopley

Commendable
Nov 30, 2018
Hello --

Considering customizing a new Dell G8 system for my son. He's not a super hard-core gamer, but I'd rather spend a little more now rather than having to upgrade components in a year or two. So the question comes down to where better to spend an extra $90. I need to decide between the following options. I can only pick one, so just wondering where I'll get my best bang for the buck

upgrade for $90 from this: 10th Gen Intel® Core™ i5-10400F processor(6-Core, 12M Cache, 2.9GHz to 4.3GHz) to this: 10th Gen Intel® Core™ i5-10600KF processor(6-Core, 12M Cache, 4.1GHz to 4.8GHz)

OR

upgrade for $90 from this: NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1660 Ti 6GB GDDR6 to this NVIDIA® GeForce® RTX™ 2060 6GB GDDR6

So do I spend $90 on a processor upgrade? or do I spend $90 on a graphics card upgrade?

thanks in advance!!

Jeff

Solution
If you don't care about gaming, neither upgrade is really worth bothering with for just basic tasks.

For gaming the video card is much better to upgrade.

For anything else, you need to look at the programs being used to make the decision.

The speed difference between the two CPUs and the video cards is almost exactly the same, with maybe the video card being a bit better improvement, but within like 5%.
If you don't care about gaming, neither upgrade is really worth bothering with for just basic tasks.

For gaming the video card is much better to upgrade.

For anything else, you need to look at the programs being used to make the decision.

The speed difference between the two CPUs and the video cards is almost exactly the same, with maybe the video card being a bit better improvement, but within like 5%.

Solution
thank you! And just got the shipping estimate. Won't arrive for over a month! No bueno for a kid who's bday is in 10 days :-(

So on to plan B.

Thoughts on this setup being sold by Costco? https://www.costco.com/.product.1502121.html

He'll be using it solely for gaming, but he's not a super-intense gamer (he'll play Call of Duty, Halo, Minecraft, etc on it)...

No idea about the details on that system past the core parts, which are fine for 1080 resolution gaming for several years. How good the other parts they use is not really know, usually pre-built systems use cheaper power supplies and motherboards along with lesser performing drives to meet their margins.