Dell hard drive

G

recently i took out the hardrive from a dell machine and install windows server 2003 using a compaq machine,but when i returned the hard drive to the Dell machine,it did not boot! main while it does on the compaq.
can anybody tell me what to do for it to boot on the dell machine?

nocheese

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2009
It probably didn't boot cause it didn't have the correct drivers. But what did you expect when you build it with one set of hardware and then just move it to another.

Why didn't you just build it in the box you intend to run it in?

Also, you don't say what errors it gave when it didn't boot nor the model of the Dell or Compaq box.

Did it BSOD? What error? "Inaccessible boot device" is the most common for what you are trying to do. That's when the installed OS doesn't have the drivers installed for the hard drive controller you are trying to boot through.

G

Nocheese,There is no error message when i boot the machine but it starts and idles with the cursor blinking and does not move to the OS.The same drive when i remove it to the Compaq machine with which i used to install the windows,it works well

G

I am asking for a solution and suggestions are welcome.Guys,if we go back on why did i do this or that,i believe that will not help the situation.If you have a suggestion on how to go about this problem,you are welcome.What can i do now after all has been said and done?

nocheese

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2009
Your best and proper solution is to put the drive in the machine you intend to use it in and do the build from there.

If you are getting no error message then it could be a myriad of things that are wrong and we can only guess. COuld be as simple as a BIOS issue not being set correctly to the MBR being messed up on the drive in some way the Dell can't see it. Heck, you don't even list the specific hardware involved making it even harder to guess at possible problems/solutions. What Compaq model and what Dell model? What type of drive?