Dell has changed it policy on OS disk

BigJim

FYI

Just received a Dell 600m and did not get a Windows XP disk. Sooooooooo
I called support and was told this is Dells new policy, the operating system
is
on a hidden partition on the hard drive. Well after a smooth discussion with
the rep he agreed to send me one. I explained what happens if my Hard drive
crashes
after my warranty has expired. He said, I would have to purchase a new hard
drive from
Dell and it would come with XP on the hidden partition. Yea I could see me
making that
argument 3 years down the road, well you rep told me...........sorry sir he
was wrong and you must
purchase not only a new drive but another copy of XP. Well just call me
paranoid but it all ended well as I will get my disk. It only took 30
minutes to resolve the issue. BTW it could also
have been me saying that it was unacceptable and I will send this machine
back tomorrow.
The moral to this story is, if you don't ask they don't offer.

I hope this may help someone in the future.

BigJIm wrote:

> FYI
>
> Just received a Dell 600m and did not get a Windows XP disk. Sooooooooo
> I called support and was told this is Dells new policy, the operating system
> is
> on a hidden partition on the hard drive. Well after a smooth discussion with
> the rep he agreed to send me one. I explained what happens if my Hard drive
> crashes
> after my warranty has expired. He said, I would have to purchase a new hard
> drive from
> Dell and it would come with XP on the hidden partition. Yea I could see me
> making that
> argument 3 years down the road, well you rep told me...........sorry sir he
> was wrong and you must
> purchase not only a new drive but another copy of XP. Well just call me
> paranoid but it all ended well as I will get my disk. It only took 30
> minutes to resolve the issue. BTW it could also
> have been me saying that it was unacceptable and I will send this machine
> back tomorrow.
> The moral to this story is, if you don't ask they don't offer.
>
> I hope this may help someone in the future.

Just out of curiosity, what division did you purchase from?

Notan

dogface

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2005

This is forcing you to buy a replacement hard drive from them that will have
the OS. Isn't this sort of bundling illegal?

Hard drives are dropping like flies these days. Not having an OS disk at
the ready is pretty stupid IMO! Your ability to recover fairly quickly is
gone.

When you buy a system you're supposed to be buying the rights to use the OS
as well on that system. Not having the ability to recover from a hard
drive crash without being forced to buy from them or pay for another copy of
the OS is a BIG reason to not buy from Dell. Are they giving you a complete
system restore disk instead?

Dogface wrote:

> This is forcing you to buy a replacement hard drive from them that will have
> the OS. Isn't this sort of bundling illegal?
>
> Hard drives are dropping like flies these days. Not having an OS disk at
> the ready is pretty stupid IMO! Your ability to recover fairly quickly is
> gone.
>
> When you buy a system you're supposed to be buying the rights to use the OS
> as well on that system. Not having the ability to recover from a hard
> drive crash without being forced to buy from them or pay for another copy of
> the OS is a BIG reason to not buy from Dell. Are they giving you a complete
> system restore disk instead?

Perhaps there's some way to burn a recovery disk from the HDD (I know
that's the case with new IBM Thinkpad's). If so, then I'd say the
policy is relatively fair. From what's been posted prior, it seems to
bve restrictions set by Microsoft which has caused this situtation. To
be fair, I understand why MS would rather OEM's ship a "restore disc"
rather than a full XP copy.

Yet another reason not to buy a Dell Computer.

It appears that Dell is, as with the Overseas Tech Support, going to keeping
"pushing" until it costs them customers(Corporate Customers, that is).

"BigJIm" <Jim10277@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> FYI
>
> Just received a Dell 600m and did not get a Windows XP disk. Sooooooooo
> I called support and was told this is Dells new policy, the operating
> system is
> on a hidden partition on the hard drive. Well after a smooth discussion
> with
> the rep he agreed to send me one. I explained what happens if my Hard
> drive crashes
> after my warranty has expired. He said, I would have to purchase a new
> hard drive from
> Dell and it would come with XP on the hidden partition. Yea I could see me
> making that
> argument 3 years down the road, well you rep told me...........sorry sir
> he was wrong and you must
> purchase not only a new drive but another copy of XP. Well just call me
> paranoid but it all ended well as I will get my disk. It only took 30
> minutes to resolve the issue. BTW it could also
> have been me saying that it was unacceptable and I will send this machine
> back tomorrow.
> The moral to this story is, if you don't ask they don't offer.
>
> I hope this may help someone in the future.

Irene, HP has been doing that for about 2 years now. That is how my
niece got her HP Computer.

"Joan Hansen" <user@my.net> wrote in message
> Irene, HP has been doing that for about 2 years now. That is how my niece
> got her HP Computer.

I agree. As I've posted before, Sony does this as well. It cost roughly
$20 U.S. (plus shipping) for the restore DVDs for a Vaio I worked on some
months ago.

But - it is one more option taken away, and I don't care for it. The last
Dim8400 I had here 3 weeks ago still had the WinXP Home disc with it. It
also had the restore partition as well as an option at start/programs/dell
accessories to 'create a recovery CD'. Gone was the Resource CD, and only
the MS Office and modem driver discs were included with the operating system
disc.

I suspect this is going to generate a lot of phone calls for them for a
myriad of different reasons, and some of those will be long-time Dell buyers
who will be considering just sending the thing back. Or
corruption/destruction of the hard disk image, or of the newbie who's blown
away all partitions on the drive before inspecting their available discs,
OR......etc etc etc.

I want my OS disc and the option to reinstall w/o the bloat.

Stew

"BigJIm" <Jim10277@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> FYI
>
> Just received a Dell 600m and did not get a Windows XP disk. Sooooooooo
> I called support and was told this is Dells new policy, the operating
> system is
> on a hidden partition on the hard drive.

The Small Business division offers the OS with or without the media. Yet
another reason to pay the tax and buy from the small business division.

--

Rob

BigJim

I guess the home division, not the business.

BigJIm wrote:

> I guess the home division, not the business.

While the Small Business Division (and higher) has had the
option of better Support (e.g., Gold Tech Support), I wonder
if they're also being given similar options as far as supplied
media goes.

Notan

On Mon, 04 Apr 2005 23:14:48 -0400, BigJIm wrote:

> Just received a Dell 600m and did not get a Windows XP disk. Sooooooooo
> I called support and was told this is Dells new policy, the operating
> system is
> on a hidden partition on the hard drive. Well after a smooth discussion
> with the rep he agreed to send me one. I explained what happens if my
> Hard drive crashes
> after my warranty has expired. He said, I would have to purchase a new
> hard drive from
> Dell and it would come with XP on the hidden partition.

And most vendors are doing this, have been doing this, and will be doing
this, but I've not seen one that doesn't also include instructions
(somewhere) on how to backup the partition so that you can recover your
system. Even the HP units, on page 8X of the manual, state, before using
the computer please run our program to backup your system disks to CDR.

--
spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me

BigJim

Well I also purchased a Dell 1100 from the home division just 15 months ago
and I received all the disks including the OS. BTW I do not think you can
burn a cd from the hidden partition it is strictly for resorting the main
partition to it's original form. If the drive goes belly up, you will need
an OS and Hard drive, if it is out of warranty. In warranty you will get the
drive with
the OS installed on the hidden partition. I believe this is a bad business
move on the part of Dell.
As I said before, I am satisfied as Dell is sending me a disk with the OS on
it, but remember I had to call an ask for it. If you are ignorant of the
fact about the OS disk you could be out of luck down the road. So tell
anyone you know who is going to purchase a new Dell.

On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 06:52:44 GMT, "Irene" <girlsrule@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>Yet another reason not to buy a Dell Computer.

OK, then what would you suggest? Our old Compaq had the same thing,
more or less; we didnt get a Windoze disc, we got Factory Restore
discs.

We are looking for a new computer.... just tired to get a custom made
one locally and they fuct it all up and it was a disaster, so now we
are looking at big company stuff.

We looked at sony Vaio.... maybe... what would you suggest?

PeeVee_Hermann wrote:

> On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 06:52:44 GMT, "Irene" <girlsrule@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> >Yet another reason not to buy a Dell Computer.
> >

> OK, then what would you suggest? Our old Compaq had the same thing,
> more or less; we didnt get a Windoze disc, we got Factory Restore
> discs.
>
> We are looking for a new computer.... just tired to get a custom made
> one locally and they fuct it all up and it was a disaster, so now we
> are looking at big company stuff.
>
> We looked at sony Vaio.... maybe... what would you suggest?

Sony? Look elsewhere.

While they're very cool looking, their after-the-sale support
is reported to be some of the worst support available.

In addition, if any of their proprietary parts need replacing,
they'll cost you a small fortune.

Notan

PeeVee_Hermann <PVnospamapplejack@yahoo.com> wrote:
>We looked at sony Vaio.... maybe... what would you suggest?

My R505 Vaio wouldn't boot from a 'normal' CD-Rom, only those supplied
by Sony, so though you get recovery disks, they install all the Sony
junk again.

I'd go with a Dell business system and specifically select the CD.

On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 13:36:16 -0600, Notan <notan@ddress.com> wrote:

>PeeVee_Hermann wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 06:52:44 GMT, "Irene" <girlsrule@hotmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >Yet another reason not to buy a Dell Computer.
>> >

>> OK, then what would you suggest? Our old Compaq had the same thing,
>> more or less; we didnt get a Windoze disc, we got Factory Restore
>> discs.
>>
>> We are looking for a new computer.... just tired to get a custom made
>> one locally and they fuct it all up and it was a disaster, so now we
>> are looking at big company stuff.
>>
>> We looked at sony Vaio.... maybe... what would you suggest?
>
>Sony? Look elsewhere.
>
>While they're very cool looking, their after-the-sale support
>is reported to be some of the worst support available.
>
>In addition, if any of their proprietary parts need replacing,
>they'll cost you a small fortune.
>
>Notan

OK, noted, and, others have said the same thing.

then what would you suggest, if not Dell or Sony?

PeeVee_Hermann wrote:

> On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 13:36:16 -0600, Notan <notan@ddress.com> wrote:
>
> >PeeVee_Hermann wrote:

> >> OK, then what would you suggest? Our old Compaq had the same thing,
> >> more or less; we didnt get a Windoze disc, we got Factory Restore
> >> discs.
> >>
> >> We are looking for a new computer.... just tired to get a custom made
> >> one locally and they fuct it all up and it was a disaster, so now we
> >> are looking at big company stuff.
> >>
> >> We looked at sony Vaio.... maybe... what would you suggest?
> >
> >Sony? Look elsewhere.
> >
> >While they're very cool looking, their after-the-sale support
> >is reported to be some of the worst support available.
> >
> >In addition, if any of their proprietary parts need replacing,
> >they'll cost you a small fortune.
> >
> >Notan
>
> OK, noted, and, others have said the same thing.
>
> then what would you suggest, if not Dell or Sony?

Personally, I've had good experiences with Dell.

In my opinion, Dell's biggest complaints are in the area of
Technical Support. If you can, order from their Small Business
Division (or higher) and opt for the best support you can get.
(Gold Tech Support, for example, gets you telephone on-hold
times of, typically, less than two minutes, and US based Techs
that appear to have a much higher computer education than their
"standard" Techs.)

If you have the time, have a look at the semi-recent "Gold Tech
Support" thread.

Notan

The only way to get exactly what you want in a computer is to have one built
to your exact specifications or build it yourself. Otherwise, be prepared to
make the same trade-offs in a computer that you make when choosing a
television or a car or a refrigerator or...

Ted Zieglar

"PeeVee_Hermann" <PVnospamapplejack@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 13:36:16 -0600, Notan <notan@ddress.com> wrote:
>
> >PeeVee_Hermann wrote:

> >> OK, then what would you suggest? Our old Compaq had the same thing,
> >> more or less; we didnt get a Windoze disc, we got Factory Restore
> >> discs.
> >>
> >> We are looking for a new computer.... just tired to get a custom made
> >> one locally and they fuct it all up and it was a disaster, so now we
> >> are looking at big company stuff.
> >>
> >> We looked at sony Vaio.... maybe... what would you suggest?
> >
> >Sony? Look elsewhere.
> >
> >While they're very cool looking, their after-the-sale support
> >is reported to be some of the worst support available.
> >
> >In addition, if any of their proprietary parts need replacing,
> >they'll cost you a small fortune.
> >
> >Notan
>

> OK, noted, and, others have said the same thing.
>
> then what would you suggest, if not Dell or Sony?

If lack of an OS restore CD with driver CD(!) is reason not to buy a Dell, then
it is good reason also to not buy HP, eMachines, Gateway, and on and on. Over
the last couple years, this has been the trend to save a few pennies and cut
costs to compete. They're all doing it. The only recourse is to ring them up
and ask for the media... Ben Myers

On Tue, 5 Apr 2005 16:37:52 -0400, "Ted Zieglar" <teddyz@notmail.com>
wrote:

>The only way to get exactly what you want in a computer is to have one built
>to your exact specifications or build it yourself. Otherwise, be prepared to
>make the same trade-offs in a computer that you make when choosing a
>television or a car or a refrigerator or...

right. I tried that once and wasnt happy with the system they
delivered. At this point i'm thinking of buying all the parts I want
and taking them to a builder.

BigJIm wrote:
|| Well I also purchased a Dell 1100 from the home division just 15
|| months ago and I received all the disks including the OS.

i purchased a dimension 4600 about 18 months ago and received the OS on cd.
i received shipment *today* of a dimension 3000 that i bought for my
girlfriend and her kids. no OS on cd. i used the dell support chat to
request the cd and they told me i should receive it in 5-7 days.

It's been slight over two years since we purchased our LAST Dell computer.
Guess we ducked the bullet by a few months.

> On Tue, 5 Apr 2005 16:37:52 -0400, "Ted Zieglar" <teddyz@notmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> >The only way to get exactly what you want in a computer is to have one
built
> >to your exact specifications or build it yourself. Otherwise, be prepared
> >make the same trade-offs in a computer that you make when choosing a
> >television or a car or a refrigerator or...
> >

> right. I tried that once and wasnt happy with the system they
> delivered. At this point i'm thinking of buying all the parts I want
> and taking them to a builder.

Bad approach IMO. Anything wrong will be blamed on YOUR choice of parts.
I'd do research on what others have built and use that info. There are very
stable combinations of motherboards, memory and video cards. Put it in a
nice large case with good ventilation and a big power supply. It'll cost
you more but you'll have a great system with quality parts and long
warranties on parts if you buy retail versions.

Putting all the pieces together is a piece of cake. There is a lot of good
help in the newsgroups too. Or you can always befriend a computer geek like
me to do it for you... :cool: You' be amazed what a six pack of beer and
pizza will get you.

First---build one

Second--Have one built to your exact specs

Then---spend the extra money and buy an IBM.

"PeeVee_Hermann" <PVnospamapplejack@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 13:36:16 -0600, Notan <notan@ddress.com> wrote:
>
>>PeeVee_Hermann wrote:

>>> OK, then what would you suggest? Our old Compaq had the same thing,
>>> more or less; we didnt get a Windoze disc, we got Factory Restore
>>> discs.
>>>
>>> We are looking for a new computer.... just tired to get a custom made
>>> one locally and they fuct it all up and it was a disaster, so now we
>>> are looking at big company stuff.
>>>
>>> We looked at sony Vaio.... maybe... what would you suggest?
>>
>>Sony? Look elsewhere.
>>
>>While they're very cool looking, their after-the-sale support
>>is reported to be some of the worst support available.
>>
>>In addition, if any of their proprietary parts need replacing,
>>they'll cost you a small fortune.
>>
>>Notan
>

> OK, noted, and, others have said the same thing.
>
> then what would you suggest, if not Dell or Sony?

boo! hiss!! buy IBM and support the communist chinese? NEVER!