Dell has changed it policy on OS disk

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Irene wrote:

> The Iomega 250 Zip Drive was an originally installed (by Dell) piece of
> hardware in all three of our Dimension computers.
> All you have to do to search the web site for available drivers for any of
> Dell's computers is to sign in to support.dell.com Click on "downloads and
> drivers", then choose which computer that you want to do the search for.
> You will find that no drivers appear for any Iomega drive.
> Interesting that I should have to explain how to do a driver search to a
> "Dellbot"(one of the self appointed X-Spurts).
>
> SO, again I ask you, since you insist that ALL drivers are available on the
> Dell Support site, that you produce the URL for the location of the driver
> for the Iomega 250 Zip Drive on the Dell Support Web site.
>
> No argument is necessary because, you won't find it.
> Just as you won't find drivers for numerous other pieces of hardware
> installed, factory new, by Dell in computers that they sell, build, and
> ship.
>
> It would be much easier and more honest for you to just admit that, once
> again, you are wrong.
> But, if you want to spend time trying, be my guest.

I *never* said that *all* drivers (especially third-party) were available.

One more time... You asked me, "... ALL drivers for the original configuration
of you computer?"

Every driver, for every one of *my* computers, is available.

Notan

Same here: Every driver for my computer is on Dell's web site.

Ted Zieglar

"Irene" <girlsrule@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> ALL there?
>
> Could either you or Notan please provide me with the URL for the Dell web
> page that provides download access for the driver for the Iomega 250 Zip
> Drive that was installed by Dell in our Dimension desk tops?

No. Windows has the drivers natively, so there's no need to download a
driver. But you're not a blathering idiot so you knew that.

Secondly, you really meant to ask about the "Iomega tools" software which
can be downloaded from the Iomega website. But you knew that as well.

Oh, wait....

> The Iomega 250 Zip Drive was an originally installed (by Dell) piece of
> hardware in all three of our Dimension computers.

I'm glad you finally replaced your HP Colorado drive.

"Wortenheimer" <worten@heimer.com> wrote in message
> ZupaDupa wrote:
> || "Wortenheimer" <worten@heimer.com> wrote
> || spoken like a true, mindless sheep. true hurts too much huh? stop
> || being a sheep and call a spade a spade. dell tried to nickel and
> || dime (aka screw) you out of something you paid for. stop kissing
> || micheal dells ass in tribute when they finally do what they should
> || have done in the first place. now go back to the rest of the
> || mindless dellbot flock... baaaabaaaa
>

> you have mental health issues. it appears that the person most likely to
> have been doinked against their will is you. i'm guessing your dad is the
> culprit, assuming that you know who he is. maybe it was your "uncle." is
> that what your mom called him?

wow... pretty strong stuff for a sheep of your stature. baaabaaaa
now please go back to kissing micheal dells balls loser.

The ZIP drive has native driver support in Windows 98/2000/ME/XP so NO
other drivers are needed it is an ATAPI device. Just PNP.

--
Steve W.

S.Lewis wrote:
> "Sparky Spartacus" <Sparky@spartacus.galaxy.org> wrote in message
>
>>Irene wrote:
>>
>>>True and is the obvious solution for those who already have a Dell that
>>>came with the CD.
>>>Getting up to date drivers from Dell is the tough part. You can get them,
>>>but they don't make it easy.
>>
>><yawn> More misinformation from our resident Queen of Misinformation &
>>General Bitching.
>

> 0 to whine in 5.17 seconds.

lol - right on!

Tom Scales wrote:
> "ZupaDupa" <ZupaDupa@DupaZupa.com> wrote in message
>
>>"Wortenheimer" <worten@heimer.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>"ZupaDupa" <ZupaDupa@DupaZupa.com> wrote

>>>how old are you? i'm guessing 13. don't worry. that bad case of acne
>>>which your type are prone will clear up by your early to mid-twenties.
>>>if
>>>you ever find a way to get laid.
>>
>>spoken like a true, mindless sheep. true hurts too much huh? stop being
>>sheep and call a spade a spade. dell tried to nickel and dime (aka screw)
>>you out of something you paid for. stop kissing micheal dells ass in
>>tribute when they finally do what they should have done in the first
>>place.
>>now go back to the rest of the mindless dellbot flock... baaaabaaaa
>
> But that's the point. The current pricing is set for you NOT paying for a
> CD. It would be higher if you did.
>
> Get it??

Absolutely not - for posters like ZoopaDoopa & Eyerene (just picking 2
names out of the ether), there's no such thing as getting it. They hate
Dell and will criticize (at great length) any perceived slight on Dell's
part - if one's new Dell included someone to wipe the new owner's ass,
they'd criticize (at great length of course) Dell for not putting on
baby powder afterward.

Wortenheimer wrote:
> ZupaDupa wrote:
> || "Tom Scales" wrote
> || that's pure bullshit and you know it. since you know so much about
> || dells pricing decisions, just how much were all the dell systems
> || dropped when they stopped providing a CD for the OS?
> || any savings is being pocketed by dell and leaving customers with no
> || operating system cd. of course im sure dell will be glad to send it
> || for a charge.
>
> that makes me special, i suppose. i received it without any additional
> "charge," including shipping. on to the next delusion....

Right, God knows what they assume in their little hard-wired Dellhating
brains I did to receive a full set of CDs, inc. XP/SP2, with my new Dim
8400.

ZupaDupa wrote:
> "Wortenheimer" <worten@heimer.com> wrote in message

>>you have mental health issues. it appears that the person most likely to
>>have been doinked against their will is you. i'm guessing your dad is the
>>culprit, assuming that you know who he is. maybe it was your "uncle." is
>>that what your mom called him?
>

> wow... pretty strong stuff for a sheep of your stature. baaabaaaa
> now please go back to kissing micheal dells balls loser.

You have an enduring fascination with male homosexuality, ZD. Do your
dreams feature gladiators wrestling? Michael Dell in <assless> chaps? Hmmmm?

Ever seen a grown man naked?

Capt Oveur

"S.Lewis" wrote:

> "Irene" <girlsrule@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > ALL there?
> >
> > Could either you or Notan please provide me with the URL for the Dell web
> > page that provides download access for the driver for the Iomega 250 Zip
> > Drive that was installed by Dell in our Dimension desk tops?
> >

> No. Windows has the drivers natively, so there's no need to download a
> driver. But you're not a blathering idiot so you knew that.
>
> Secondly, you really meant to ask about the "Iomega tools" software which
> can be downloaded from the Iomega website. But you knew that as well.
>
> Oh, wait....

I'd imagine that, rather than wanting to know where to find
whatever Iomega software was needed for Irene's Zip Drive 250,
she, once again, was just here to stir the pot.

I wouldn't expect any computer company to support third party
hardware.

Need Iomega software/drivers? Go to:

https://iomega-na-en.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/iomega_na_en.cfg/php/enduser/cci/product.phph

Notan

So what? The Iomega 250 Zip Drive has built-in operating system support in Win
2000 and Win XP. I forget whether or not Win 95, 98 or ME also have built-in
support for the ZIP drives, which are simply species of removable disk media.
Why would one want to download "drivers" from the Dell web site when such
drivers are not even needed?

Now if you want some of the Iomega utilities which support the ZIP drives, the
best place to get this software is? SURPRISE! The Iomega web site!

This seems like another tempest in a teapot... Ben Myers

"Steve W." <Dugdug56@what.com> wrote in message
> The ZIP drive has native driver support in Windows 98/2000/ME/XP so NO
> other drivers are needed it is an ATAPI device. Just PNP.
>
> --
> Steve W.

I'll be damned, Steve. Yours too? Maybe Irene has the Windows Edition w/o
WMP and zip drivers.....

> So what? The Iomega 250 Zip Drive has built-in operating system support
> in Win
> 2000 and Win XP. I forget whether or not Win 95, 98 or ME also have
> built-in
> support for the ZIP drives, which are simply species of removable disk
> media.
> Why would one want to download "drivers" from the Dell web site when such
> drivers are not even needed?
>
> Now if you want some of the Iomega utilities which support the ZIP drives,
> the
> best place to get this software is? SURPRISE! The Iomega web site!
>
> This seems like another tempest in a teapot... Ben Myers

That's exactly what it is. Someone wishing to troll and using a really
uninformed example.

She could've mentioned the Lucent "Tiger" Wildwire DSL/V90 modem or
something.

Stew

S.Lewis wrote:
> "Steve W." <Dugdug56@what.com> wrote in message
>
>>The ZIP drive has native driver support in Windows 98/2000/ME/XP so NO
>>other drivers are needed it is an ATAPI device. Just PNP.
>>
>>--
>>Steve W.
>
> I'll be damned, Steve. Yours too? Maybe Irene has the Windows Edition w/o
> WMP and zip drivers.....

This is clearly a case of gender discrimination - Irene should find an
attorney to file a class action suit because Dell offers certain drivers
only to male customers.

> I always considered it to be a support issue that lead to having a restore
> partition vs. shipping all the CD's. Let's be honest, folks..... How many

Hank, is there a way to make a backup CD copy of the hidden partition?

"SGD" <nobody@verizon.net> wrote in message
>> I always considered it to be a support issue that lead to having a
>> restore
>> partition vs. shipping all the CD's. Let's be honest, folks..... How many
>
> Hank, is there a way to make a backup CD copy of the hidden partition?

Should be on your start/programs menu. (dell accessories/'create restore
CD') Though maybe not if the system doesn't have a burner installed.....

Stew

Why don't you just admit that you were wrong?
You must go to Iomega to get the drivers. They are no where on any Dell web
page.
This is also true for other hardware that is supplied and installed by Dell
on the computers they sell, build and ship.

Irene wrote:

> Why don't you just admit that you were wrong?
> You must go to Iomega to get the drivers. They are no where on any Dell web
> page.
> This is also true for other hardware that is supplied and installed by Dell
> on the computers they sell, build and ship.

Wrong about what?

EVERY DRIVER, FOR EVERY ONE OF MY COMPUTERS, IS AVAILABLE
ON DELL'S WEB SITE.

Notan

Where did you get the idea that we ever had an HP Colorado drive----I don't
even know what it is.

> Where did you get the idea that we ever had an HP Colorado drive----I
> don't even know what it is.

Or what a zip drive is for that matter. I'm stunned.

Let's put this to rest.

Actually, Stew, you are totally correct on one count, you are partially
wrong on one count and totally wrong on the other.
Correct, I am not a not a "blathering idiot" I admit that I did know
there were resident drivers in Windows. But according to both MS and Iomega,
those resident drivers may or may not work with an OEM installed Zip
Drives, and/or they may or may not be the same ones supplied with an OEM
installed version of Windows
..
Wrong, I was not asking about "Iomega tools", now renamed "IomegaWare".

You are half right about Windows. Some time back, we did a complete clean
re-install of XP on one of our older Dimensions, using the Dell supplied
CD. Before we began, we contacted Dell and Microsoft, and eventually Iomega.
According to Dell, Microsoft, and Iomega, the resident drivers contained in
the full retail version of Windows XP will work with some Iomega Zip Drives,
but are only on the hard drive of an Iomega configured Dell with Dell OEM
installed Windows XP. They are not on the Dell supplied Windows Restore CD.
This is per Dell.
The drivers are, however, located on the IomegaWare software CD which is
NOT supplied with the Zip Drive, when you get it installed by Dell on one
of their new computers. .These drivers are available from Iomega on their
IomegaWare CD(which can be purchased from Iomega. No where on Dell's site,
either on support.dell.com or when the Zip Drive is ordered from the Dell
order web page, does it tell you that you need to obtain all back up
software(including the drivers) from Iomega. Iomega very clearly states that
some resident drivers will work, but if the drivers included with your OS do
not, you must install the newest version of IomegaWare, which is available
for purchase on a CD or as a download for free.

Yes, I must admit that I did sandbag Notan just a little, because, I
suspected he would jump, before thoroughly thinking it out; and he did.
Just my way of helping out the anti- "Dellbot" group a little. >gr<

Sorry that I haven't been here for a while. >gr<

We have been doing some traveling. First our home on the Med(where I didn't
have Usenet access)
then Hong Kong(a girl has to shop after all) and now at our home in
Hawaii. Then back to one of our homes on the mainland. But, rest assured,
these have computers and Internet access. So, look for me to be around for
a while.

Aren"t you folks lucky? .>gr<

> Let's put this to rest.

If you'd have simply stopped there about a year ago, you'd have managed a
small shred of any credibility. You've painted yourself as a complete
buffoon.

Irene wrote:
> Let's put this to rest.
>
> Actually, Stew, you are totally correct on one count, you are partially
> wrong on one count and totally wrong on the other.
> Correct, I am not a not a "blathering idiot"

Right, it's "blithering" idiot.

:)

Sparky Spartacus wrote:
|| Irene wrote:
||| Let's put this to rest.
||| Actually, Stew, you are totally correct on one count, you are
||| partially wrong on one count and totally wrong on the other.
||| Correct, I am not a not a "blathering idiot"
|| Right, it's "blithering" idiot.

it could be blathering, but i'm highly concerned over the "I am not a not
a" part.

;)