Dell Inspirin i5570 - M.2 SSD not recognized

gators81

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2006
I recently purchased a Dell Inspiron i5570-5890BLK-PUS. I am trying to install an SSD, and I purchased a WD Blue SSD (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073SBV3XX/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1&pldnSite=1).

I have installed it in the computer, but it is not being recognized in the BIOS or in the device manager. I checked the BIOS to make sure UEFI is enabled, and I also downloaded the Intel Rapid Storage drivers.

Does anybody have any suggestions on what might the problem be?

Thanks.

JaredDM

Honorable
I'd have to dig up some more specs on your laptop to be sure, but it's possible that the motherboard only has PCIe lanes going to the M.2 port, and that SSD is SATA only. It wouldn't surprise me if Dell skipped the SATA lanes if their SSD upgrade option was a PCIe only model.

Edit: Perhaps not. According to B&H website specs: "Your laptop offers multiple storage options for responsive performance and plenty of backup, including a 2.5" SATA III drive bay that supports up to a 2TB 5400 rpm hard drive, or an M.2 slot that supports SATA SSDs up to 256GB or NVMe PCIe SSDs up to 512GB"

So it should have SATA lanes.

Perhaps try updating the UEFI to the latest version. Aside from that, it could be just a bad SSD or motherboard.