Dell Inspiron 14 r n4010 RAM upgrade problem plz help

Aabhi021290

Reputable
Jun 15, 2015
I have Dell Inspiron 14 r n4010, win 7 x64 , 3GB RAM (1 GB+ 2 GB) 2 slots .Both RAM company- Hynix 1333 Mhz pc3 - 10600s

I searched internet , my system suport maximum 8 GB RAM.

Yesterday I bought 4 GB RAM , Hynix 4 GB , 1333 Mhz ,pc3 10600u

I take out 1 GB RAM and placed 2 GB RAM in that slot and New 4 GB RAM in 2GB slot.

Now my windows is keep crashing during boot.I also tried to place 4 GB RAM in different slot but it keep crashing

But when I take out 4 GB RAM and place 1 GB in slot 1and 2 GB RAM in slot 2 , my laptop works fine.

Can someone help me with this issue, I really want to upgrade RAM from 3 GB to 6 GB. ?

Solution
try each or the ram modules in one slot. admittedly it will run really slow. but its more to see if it will.

If the only one to fail is the 4GB then that itself could be caused by a few problems

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/product-support/product/inspiron-14r/drivers

Go here, ensure this is your laptop (you can do this with the Service Tag on the bottom of the laptop). Once done, download the BIOS and Chipset drivers.

Follow the instructions and reboot an extra time after it prompts for or automatically reboots.
This is due to there sometimes being an old driver that doesn't like larger RAM modules (I'm not saying this will fix it, but it will eliminate the possibility its the cause)

Now install the 4gb ram module...

hilltopmonk

Distinguished
May 26, 2011
try each or the ram modules in one slot. admittedly it will run really slow. but its more to see if it will.

If the only one to fail is the 4GB then that itself could be caused by a few problems

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/product-support/product/inspiron-14r/drivers

Go here, ensure this is your laptop (you can do this with the Service Tag on the bottom of the laptop). Once done, download the BIOS and Chipset drivers.

Follow the instructions and reboot an extra time after it prompts for or automatically reboots.
This is due to there sometimes being an old driver that doesn't like larger RAM modules (I'm not saying this will fix it, but it will eliminate the possibility its the cause)

Now install the 4gb ram module again, by itself.

If it worked, brilliant. problem fixed. If not its pretty likely (almost certain) that the ram module is broke

Good luck

Solution

Aabhi021290

Reputable
Jun 15, 2015

Thanks for the quick reply
I downloaded the drivers and bios and installed and rebooted each time when a driver is installed.
Tried to place only 4gb RAM but system keep crashing ,
I tried memory tests (windows memory Diagnos) from ultimate boot cd , it says "memory map contained ranges that extended above 4 GB" then it says it is not because of computer but because of deficiency within WMD.
It also says to continue to test so I started test (Extended) 1 pass 11 test no error.

When i install 4 GB in 1 slot and 2 GB in another, I went to bios (F2) ,there it says
System Memory = 628 kb
Extended Memory = 6071 MB
Memory Speed = 1066 MHz

When I install only 4 GB RAM, bios says
System Memory = 628 kb
Extended Memory = 3959MB
Memory Speed = 1066 MHz

Any more suggestion or should to return it ?

Aabhi021290

Reputable
Jun 15, 2015

Thanks for the quick reply
I downloaded the drivers and bios and installed and rebooted each time when a driver is installed.
Tried to place only 4gb RAM but system keep crashing ,
I tried memory tests (windows memory Diagnos) from ultimate boot cd , it says "memory map contained ranges that extended above 4 GB" then it says it is not because of computer but because of deficiency within WMD.
It also says to continue to test so I started test (Extended) 1 pass 11 test no error.

When i install 4 GB in 1 slot and 2 GB in another, I went to bios (F2) ,there it says
System Memory = 628 kb
Extended Memory = 6071 MB
Memory Speed = 1066 MHz

When I install only 4 GB RAM, bios says
System Memory = 628 kb
Extended Memory = 3959MB
Memory Speed = 1066 MHz

Any more suggestion or should to return it ?