Question Dell Inspiron 15 5000 Series laptop not booting: need help

chizuo

Reputable
Jul 1, 2019
Laptop does not boot to Windows. Cannot enter BIOS.

First video for reference:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpiprA9-y4M

Backlight does turn on. LCD test also works. Dell Pre-Boot System Assessment (Fn + power up) initiates error code beeps as heard here:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzSWsRQjf1Q

What I have tried:

motherboard swap (same problem recreated after swap). I mistakenly inserted the wrong type of RAM stick and I believe I shorted the newer board (one way to learn). I have since replaced it with the original board to continue troubleshooting.

RAM swaps, all variations with same result.

Connected Hard drive to my other PC and was able to access it and copy files. Further, tested hard dive with SeaTools for Windows. I get a fail code of 6C9AC2A4 .“ "Serial number not detected, SeaTools did fail the drive,” as indicated on this page: https://www.seagate.com/staticfiles/support/seatools/seatools-test-codes.html

Tried booting with/without keyboard plugged in.

Battery is believed to be dead. All of these tests are performed with the battery taken out and the AC Adapter plugged in.

Currently everything is placed and plugged back into the laptop. I am in need of some advice before moving forward.

Any suggestions?

Did you look up the error codes on Dell support site? If you tried different RAM, most likely issue is the motherboard. You said the replacement was damaged so that is still the most likely issue.

Does the system give error beeps if booted without RAM?

chizuo

Reputable
Jul 1, 2019
Did you look up the error codes on Dell support site? If you tried different RAM, most likely issue is the motherboard. You said the replacement was damaged so that is still the most likely issue.

Does the system give error beeps if booted without RAM?

So, someone on Reddit suggested I hook it up to an external monitor. That was actually one of the first things I did, via VGA to USB. Didn't work. But, it turns out I must have been asleep at the wheel, because I had forgotten to hit the key combo to switch which monitor is being used (Fn+F8, in this case). I suppose I've grown accustomed to Laptops and PC's automatically recognizing and allowing access to external monitors. Anyway, this worked and I was greeted with a Dell Support Assistant dialogue. I was then able to run BIOS, Dell Support Assistant, and boot to Windows (8). This has made troubleshooting much easier.

The error code beeps turned out to be related to the battery missing (I had taken it out and have been running from the AC Adapter) and problems with the HDD.

In regards to the internal HDD problem, Support Assistant confirmed what SeaTools initially did and gave me this:

Critical issue found
Error Code: 142
Description: Hard Drive - self test unsuccessful , terminated
Recommended action
Replace Hard Drive.
Your hard drive is operating outside of normal parameters and should be replaced. This system no longer carries a hardware warranty. To purchase a replacement drive, please visit Dell Spare Parts for a compatible replacement part.

So, I am in the process of sourcing a new laptop HDD, imaging the existing Windows 8 + HDD set up on an external hard drive, and then setting up the new HDD in the laptop. Then, I will see if I need to replace the LCD screen and/or it's cables. I have yet to make any purchases, as I want to do some research and cover my bases first.

Let me know what you think!