Question Dell Inspiron 15 5547 Overheated - Now I hear 8 beeps when turning the laptop on.

Apr 23, 2019
Recently I was replacing the outer casing and hinges on my dad's Dell Inspiron 15 5547 with the following relevant specs:

CPU: Intel Core i5 4210U - 1.7GHz
Graphics: Integrated Intel HD Graphics 4400

Upon putting the laptop back together, everything was working fine at first. Unfortunately, I didn't notice that the fan was not working (I didn't hook it back up properly) and left the laptop on and went to the washroom. Upon returning, I could smell a "burnt" scent and realized that it was coming from the laptop.

I immediately removed the battery from the laptop and let it return to room temperature, but upon trying to start again, I would be greeted with nothing on the display and the sound of 8 beeps.

I looked up the beep codes and saw that 8 beeps referred to a problem with the LCD display, so I tried all the troubleshooting methods based on that.

I tried the following:
  • Check display cable.
  • Pressing and holding D+Power buttons at startup (and other key combinations found on the internet that worked for others).
  • Plugging the laptop into an external display through HDMI.
Many have said that if the external display option does not work, then the issue is more likely to be related to the laptop video card. Since my laptop overheated, I am pretty sure that this is the case for me.

However, I do not have a dedicated video, so I don't know if attempting suggested solutions such as a reflow are possible. Are there any other solutions possible, or should I opt to get a new motherboard?

Here is what the motherboard, and specifically the chipset look like:

Front:

Back:
s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2019
The video chips is in the CPU, the CPU is soldered to the motherboard, so yes your next step would be to try another motherboard. Assuming it's not a cable issue to the screen.
It most likely isn’t the screen so I’ll be giving another motherboard a try since they are pretty in expensive. Thanks for the response!