Question Dell Inspiron 15 7501 Laptop Not booting back up all the time after sleep ?

faromic

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
Hey everyone, I bought an open box laptop from Microcenter about a month ago. Initially I had a 15 day return policy. Literally on the 16th day I opened it to turn it on and it would not turn on. I made sure to plug the charger in. It would not power on, was completely unresponsive. When I pressed the power button, a green light next to the charger cord lit up. It was stay on if I held the button down. I did some research and tried a hard shut down and that didn't work. I also tried to do the power cycle I read about online and that also did not work. 5 days later the laptop miraculously booted up no problem. I don't understand.

I did have an issue when I first got it, if I just closed the cover as opposed to putting to sleep the battery would drain and on one occasion it took about 10 minutes of pressing the power button until it was responsive.

I called Microcenter and then extended the return date until Feb 6, which is 3 days away. I was out of town for a week when it happened so I couldn't run to the store right away. I haven't had any issues with it since but am worried. I need this laptop to do my work and I need something reliable. But I got it at a really good price and am wondering if it was just a one time issue. Obviously on one knows for sure but I'm wondering if anyone else has ever come across this. If I take this back the cheapest laptop with these specs is $500 more. I have haven't had any issues since this happened a couple weeks ago.

Thanks

I would return it. It was open box and returned for a reason and you had two different issues with it already. Intermittent issues happen and there is no way to know if they will keep happening or develop into something worse, but it's not a good start. Is there a manufacturers warranty on it? If so you can just take a chance and keep it, then deal with the laptop vendor for warranty although that is always a tougher thing to deal with between support calls, mailing the system in, sometimes at your cost, maybe getting back with a new issue or the same issue comes back in a week, etc..

faromic

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
Thanks for the response. Yes I do have a one year manufacturer warranty on it, so my thought was if I keep it I have that as a backup. But like you said I'd have to deal with support, phone calls etc. I do like the laptop though, it's discontinued at this point...tough decision.