[SOLVED] Dell Inspiron 15 7577 Keys Not Working

PAULO40

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2013
Hi All
Wondering if any of you guys can give me some advice on why a couple of my Dell 15 7577 gaming laptop keys aren't working, and possible ways on how to rectify the problem.
The keys in question are the Backspace and Return keys, all other keys work fine. The problem has been there for a few days now, and the keys can work if I remove the caps and fiddle with the plastic plunger (unsure of correct name for this part), but not often and only for a short length of time, then they stop again.
I've researched all possibilities on the internet, Windows 10 updates, firmware updates, sticky and filter keys suggestions, uninstalling and reinstalling drivers, compressed air, but none of these remedies seem to work. Is this a sign my keyboard is on the way out, and a replacement is due? Or is there any thing else I can try to cure this problem? I was wondering if dirt / dust had gotten underneath the plastic plungers and was somehow stopping the signal from keys to motherboard.
I know these laptops are a bit of a pain to disassemble, but I'm quite PC savvy, have built, upgraded and repaired plenty of PCs and Laptops in my time, so I'm sure I can dismantle if need be.
Any thoughts, advice and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Solution
Seems like you need to replace the keyboard(under the palm rest), if you've already tried tinkering with the rubber plunger/scissor switches. You inspect it for any dirt or debris under the keycap? I had to look with a magnifying glass to spot a strand of fabric impeding the key from actuating under the keycap.

Lutfij

Titan
Seems like you need to replace the keyboard(under the palm rest), if you've already tried tinkering with the rubber plunger/scissor switches. You inspect it for any dirt or debris under the keycap? I had to look with a magnifying glass to spot a strand of fabric impeding the key from actuating under the keycap.

Reactions: PAULO40
Solution

PAULO40

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2013

Installed a new keyboard, and all keys now work. At the same time I changed the trackpad too as that was starting to play up on the right click, plus changed the thermal paste. Unfortunately a new problem has arisen which needs some attention. I'll start a new thread for that one.

Many thanks for you help.