DELL Inspiron 3650 won't POST, and won't turn off and stay off

djbillyd

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009
I have a DELL Inspiron 3650 that won't POST. It powers on, but no amount of troubleshooting makes it POST. Then, after trying to get normal turn on, the thing won't turn off, and stay off. I press the power button, and hold it until everything stops. No lights, no fans, nothing. Then, 5 seconds exactly, later, it comes back on. Still no POST, but it powers up again. Is this also part of mainboard failure? I've ordered another one, and a CPU as well.

I have replaced the Mobo, the CPU, and the RAM. Now, the PWR BTN stays white and solid. Can't find system speaker (if there is one), but the external speakers don't yield any sound. The fans blow, the HDD spins (I think), but it still won't post. I replaced all of the hardware, except the pwr sup, and with stuff running, I don't know that it would matter.

These computers are cheaply built, and leave few, if any, options to really just rebuild the thing. Everything is basically DELL, and nothing else will fit. If I'm wrong, please tell me how.

Sk8ter

Honorable
Aug 24, 2014
Hi !
If you have any spare psu laying around, i suggest you use it to test the machine, remove the old one and plug in just the 24pins and the cpu power,no need to plug any sata perephirals yet hit the power switch and see what comes out of it .

djbillyd

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009
This rig has an 8 pin connector. All of the other pwr indicators say the PS is good. Because that's the only thing that isn't replaced, I don't imagine it would hurt to try that too.

Sk8ter

Honorable
Aug 24, 2014
I just googled your pc specs for more details , and yeah that's right its mobo is powered by an 8pin connector,you're gonna need a 24 to 8 pin adapter if you're gonna try with a diffrent psu just check this youtube video see in the description there's a link to what you're gonna need exactly..https://youtu.be/SCQTj1ei3Ew