Oct 16, 2020
I have a Dell Inspiron 3650 on its way, I'm replacing a Dell Optiplex 980 with the Inspiron.

The 3650 will be used to control my 3D printers, so that my grandson can game on the Alienware 17 R3, I'm not using the 3650 to game on, I have a decent desktop I built for that purpose. I have USB WiFi/BT dongles and I'll be using one of those on the 3650

Will a SFX PSU fit inside the Inspiron case? (I know I'll need the 8-pin adapter)

The 980 will be restored closer to how I got it, with the original AMD graphics card, I'll install the OEM PSU and upgrade the processor to an i7 ($20, already on the way) and fresh install Windows 10 on it and donate it to a youth organization locally.

The Inspiron will see an upgrade to max RAM and an SSD (already have SSD)

Solution
I have a Dell Inspiron 3650 on its way, I'm replacing a Dell Optiplex 980 with the Inspiron.

The 3650 will be used to control my 3D printers, so that my grandson can game on the Alienware 17 R3, I'm not using the 3650 to game on, I have a decent desktop I built for that purpose. I have USB WiFi/BT dongles and I'll be using one of those on the 3650

Will a SFX PSU fit inside the Inspiron case? (I know I'll need the 8-pin adapter)

The 980 will be restored closer to how I got it, with the original AMD graphics card, I'll install the OEM PSU and upgrade the processor to an i7 ($20, already on the way) and fresh install Windows 10 on it and donate it to a youth organization locally.

The Inspiron will see an upgrade to max RAM and an...

The Inspiron will see an upgrade to max RAM and an SSD (already have SSD)

Why would you need to change the PSU then... upgrading RAM and SSD won't require that.

From Dell's forums: https://www.dell.com/community/Desk...nspiron-3650-upgrade-GPU-and-PSU/td-p/5134870

That uses a smaller form factor than TFX PSU... definitely an SFX won't ever fit in there unless you literally cut open the case to make room for it.

Reactions: Das Faust
Solution