Dell Inspiron 3847 3000 series no display or power to usb ports

Nick131

Reputable
Feb 5, 2015
Dell inspiron 3847 3000 series.

Step 1. Set up and checked original stalk out of the box hardware function by plugging in every necessary cord then turning on the pc and starting windows 8.1 and let it process its software decompression to fully load until it reached the desktop interface with the start button. Checked that it recognized all hardware properly and no faulty ram or other components. It worked like a normal computer should.

Step 2. Transferred Mobo with ram and pcu and the wireless bluetooth module still intact during transfer into new case. Added in 650ti GPU before start up with integrated graphics so no drivers installed. Plugged in every power supply and all pin-powered wires and every sata/hdd/optical drive to all components necessary. Then the attempt to start up computer to same monitor it came with in the box that worked perfectly before gave no display. The monitor detects the connection for a split second as it is going in and out of sleep mode in every attempt to notice there is a display trying to happen but nothing gives way. On top of this the USB ports do not work at all with different mice and keyboards. Every fan in the case works, the system fan works, the pcu cooling fan works, lights in the case work.

Step 3. Took out GPU and tried just the onboard pcu integrated graphics display but nothing, tried different monitors of different natural resolutions, tried vga hdmi and dvi as well.

Step 4. Bread boarded the Mobo down to only powering the mobo and even jumping the mobo with NO case switch power button start. Just a naked mobo with only the large pin connector and the 12v 4 pin connector. The pcu fan works for sure and its powered through the mobo system fan pins so the electrical circuit cannot be fried. Tried all monitors and vga hdmi dvi again but nothing. And the whole time no integrated usb ports worked with again different mice and keyboards.

Step 5. Now doing a hard reset by leaving the mobo battery out over night and going to try again later.

I believe its either the ports on the mobo gave out for no reason or they are locked up in some freak accident bios tweak during the case swapping.

This is a windows 8.1 OS and I have read and also experienced a similar situation to where that OS can altar the hardware settings in some freakish ways. If I could get the usb and integrated display ports to power then I am almost positive it would work.

Please any further progressing suggestions would help. Its all trial and error from here.

Nick131

Reputable
Feb 5, 2015
Found the answer. For all future Dell Inspiron 3847 case swappers.

The Dell Inspiron's case power switch has to be connected to the pins on the motherboard and use to turn on all electrical circuits in the mobo or none of the ports on the mobo work.