Question Dell Inspiron 3847 Motherboard Front Panel Connectors

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexochoa700

Commendable
May 15, 2018
So I’m trying to switch this prebuilt motherboard from a Dell Inspiron 3847 but i’m kind of an idiot when it comes to this stuff so I have no clue where the connectors from this new case go. Heres a photo of them

FrDtHrd.jpg

^ The connectors from the new case

DUTLC71.jpg

^ The connector that was connected from
the motherboard to the front panel power button

X27VxLo.jpg

^ Where that connector is suppose to go

This new case also came with this 10pin front panel USB power connector but the Dell motherboard doesnt have a connection like this. Here are some photos:

finOMkw.jpg

^ Here is the USB 3.0 connector for the front panel that can fit 10 pins, it also has one on the bottom far (corner) right that is blocked out and cant connect to anything

M8OA1Qo.jpg

^ This is where on the old case, two connectors would fit into the green one and the black one. Pretty sure those two were for the two USB 2.0 slots on the front panel of the old inspiron case

Im watching videos trying to see if anyone else knows how to connect them to a motherboard like this, I see people saying that they get errors when they plug them all in their appropriate pins but heres the thing, I dont even know where the pins would go in the first place. This is all so confusing to me due to the fact that Im not entirely educated on this kind of stuff. I also dont trust myself to solder anything because I have no clue how to do it and Im guarenteed to mess something up.

I would really appreciate any help and I will answer any questions ASAP. I just want to be able to use my computer on this new case. Thank you

So I’m trying to switch this prebuilt motherboard from a Dell Inspiron 3847 but i’m kind of an idiot when it comes to this stuff so I have no clue where the connectors from this new case go. Heres a photo of them

FrDtHrd.jpg

^ The connectors from the new case

DUTLC71.jpg

^ The connector that was connected from
the motherboard to the front panel power button

X27VxLo.jpg

^ Where that connector is suppose to go

This new case also came with this 10pin front panel USB power connector but the Dell motherboard doesnt have a connection like this. Here are some photos:

finOMkw.jpg

^ Here is the USB 3.0 connector for the front panel that can fit 10 pins, it also has one on the bottom far (corner) right that is blocked out and cant connect to anything

M8OA1Qo.jpg

^ This is where on the old case, two connectors would fit into the green one and the black one. Pretty sure those two were for the two USB 2.0 slots on the front panel of the old inspiron case

Im watching videos trying to see if anyone else knows how to connect them to a motherboard like this, I see people saying that they get errors when they plug them all in their appropriate pins but heres the thing, I dont even know where the pins would go in the first place. This is all so confusing to me due to the fact that Im not entirely educated on this kind of stuff. I also dont trust myself to solder anything because I have no clue how to do it and Im guarenteed to mess something up.

I would really appreciate any help and I will answer any questions ASAP. I just want to be able to use my computer on this new case. Thank you
Look up the mobo it should tell you what is what for the power pins and where to plug them into there should be no soldering required

alexochoa700

Commendable
May 15, 2018
I’m using a Dell motherboard from an Inspiron 3847 in a more modern case that isn’t necessarily made for a Dell motherboard, and I can’t use the new cases’s front panel pin connectors because that specific connection is proprietary and I’m stuck using the power button from the old Inspiron case. I’m up for the task to rewire it to be compatible with the new case, I just need help identifying which cables are the ones that I will need to rewire to make the new cases’s power button & front panel lights to work. Heres a some video of what this proprietary connector looks like:

xK7JDDQ.mp4

I simply tried to get every angle possible just to make it easier to identify. You can see it has a weird kind of loop thing that is what I’m assuming is some safety mechanism from Dell. Those last few pins where the loop is located are basically duds according to a video I watched, and the computer simply wont boot if it detects that those dud pin holes are not connected.

Thanks for reading

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2021
I had the exact same problem but I just solved it, alexochoa700 is correct about the dud wires so I studied the wires going from the LEDs and power button and put the corresponding wires from the case in the plug that's attached to the dell inspiron 3847 case. I basically took the wires out of the old connector that goes to the motherboard, took the wires out and put the new case wires in their place. Put the HDD led wires in place of yellow and black. Led power + replaces red, led power - replaces white. Power switch replaces brow and blue now be careful that you put the wire replacing blue back in the same slot as the black dud wire or it will not work. Hope this helps!

Reactions: Pepperah
Status
Not open for further replies.