Dell Inspiron 3847 Where does the Power SW, reset SW, HDD LED, Power LED + and - go on the motherboard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AliciaBrownSugar

Reputable
Dec 1, 2016
I have the same problem as this guy

Here is a link to his pictures

My old switch looks like this
EOZEpBr.jpg

XzLA6Og.jpg

RcR4Yme.jpg

2nd from the top left has no hole to match the one with no pin, so the left is the bottom, and the right is the top in the above pictures.

but the new one looks like this
RJerw3P.jpg

These pictures came from someone who posted here...
But he never responded to say if it was fixed or how he got it fixed...I have a Dell Inspiron 3847 and have a new power button that has Power SW, Reset SW, HDD Led and Power Led. I know which are pos and neg, and I put it as shown here
images

but when I do that, I get it to power on with the sound of it powering on, but it doesn't turn the mouse, keyboard or screen on. The screen still says no signal, and the mouse and keyboard don't light up as they should. (those are the only things I used as indicators) I even unplugged all USBs & Took out the CR2032 button battery and the power plug at the back outside. (I didn't disconnect the power supply from the motherboard while I waited though (It wasn't suggested though)
The LED on the power button lights up fine.

Here's the kicker...If I take the cables out while it's still making the noise from me trying to get it to start up, and put the original cable block in, it turns on without me having to even press the original power button. The original one works, but because of a toddler who turns off the pc mid use, I need to attach this to it instead and keep it out of reach.
images

images

The switch is labeled, the motherboard isn't...and the manual only says Connect it, but not which one goes where because they assume you have one that's all together in one block, not separate.
Here's the Manual page 11, 38-39 (it's not even worth looking at this manual for you.)

None of these are my pictures, but if needed, I can post a picture of my specific motherboard.

Here are links to 2 videos to show you my connections etc more clearly. Sorry it's in 2 videos. I accidentally let my screen time out while moving while I had it paused, so I had to do a 2nd video.
What I said on the video was just my guess.
Video 1

Video 2

welcome to the world of non standard dell OEM boards.

I did this with an OptiPlex some time back and the only way I could figure it out was to track the wires back from that Dell cable and identify all the used colored wires and where they go, likely red/black will go to power button, yellow to an led etc... follow the trail.
if you put led (wrong way) power inverted they will not work.. flip =/- wires and should fix that, there is a little guess work to be done, and the connector you have on the new power button will not fit terribly well into the on board connector, when I had figured and was sure of my change I clip it making pinning it out so much easier.

AliciaBrownSugar

Reputable
Dec 1, 2016
The weird thing is that it kind of turns on. It makes the noises of turning on, fans turn etc, but it doesn't fully turn on. The monitor doesn't receive signal and the mouse and keyboard don't go on either. (Those are the only things I noticed) I unplugged all usb cables to see if that was the cause and tried turning it on, but it didn't work. I'm not sure what causes it to only partially turn on with those plugged in, but fully turn on with the original one. I got 3 of those and none of them work, but I've seen others with the same issue, so I know it's not my devices. I just haven't found a solution that worked yet.
I was able to follow the path, I even left out the rest sw, but it didn't work. Maybe I'll get to do a video of me trying the different positions when I get home.

WoodyPride

Prominent
Mar 10, 2017

Did you ever find a solution to this? I am running into the exact same problem.

AliciaBrownSugar

Reputable
Dec 1, 2016

Unfortunately no, not yet. I hope to, but so far, I've been unsuccessful.

take it all out of the new case, plug old power supply to it and connectors does it boot properly ?
it sounds like you have more then pwr switch connector issue.

AliciaBrownSugar

Reputable
Dec 1, 2016

The old switch works, I was trying to get the new one working. It's one with the extender so the toddler doesn't press it while everyone else is doing work or playing games. He likes to do that, so I figure that if it's out of reach, he won't be able to do it.
It will be on top of the table and semi in reach of the older ones, so the younger one will be too short to reach it.

GFBurke

Reputable
Sep 15, 2015
Yes. It will not POST without the bridged connections like in your vid.
A client wanted me to build him a PC, with this mobo. I didn't have a pic of a original way it was wired for the pins. Thanks to your vid, it's up and running just fine.

I took an old scrap, USB mobo header - 4 row pin setup. Cut it, stripped each wire except the (in my case) green one, since you can see yours doesn't need a pin there. Took those 3 wires and twisted them together. Then, took the new PC case power switch wires, cut them, took the power side of that wire and twisted it with those 3 earlier. Then, took the one remaining power button (negative) and plugged it into that spot where your brown one goes. Bam. all worked. soldered and done.

Basically, just make all those black spots touch like in your vid. then, one wire from the new power switch go with those, then the other wire from your new power button, go right next to it, where the brown one was.

OR. In your situation, since you have the real DELL setup, you can do what this guy did. Just plug in the old setup, go into BIOS, turn on "Ac Recovery".

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2940332/dell-inspiron-3847-replacing-case-run-front-panel-pinout-problem.html

May 28, 2020

Did you ever find a solution to this? I am running into the exact same problem.
Did anyone find a solution?

AliciaBrownSugar

Reputable
Dec 1, 2016
I have since upgraded my PC. Turns out that 2 of the 3 switches I had bought weren't even working. I had tried 2 of them and gave up on even opening the 3rd one. I only decided to try them out again when I had another PC and didn't have a case for it but wanted to test it out to see if it was still working after doing a complete motherboard swap etc...like making a test bench. I had been turning it on by jumping it with a screwdriver, but I decided to try it out again with the switches and when I put in the one that I hadn't opened before, it worked...but then I went and found the ones I had tried ages ago and found they didn't even work. It seems like the diagram I had found was the correct placement, GFBurke seemed to be able to replicate the block by soldering 3 wires together to make the grounding that the block had. I'd go check out that 2nd post of his with the diagram. It looks promising. It was at a time where I was too worried about soldering wires together to try it out and I wasn't living super close to my nephews, so even if I fixed it on my pc, I wouldn't be able to guarantee that the same thing would work on theirs too.

https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...d-go-on-the-motherboard.2876355/post-18917768

Status
Not open for further replies.