Dell Inspiron 4000 CPU swap

zephant0m

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2009
Hello,

My trusty laptop was a top of the line model when I bought it new. I know that many would throw it in the garbage can now, but it has always been a really sweet machine, and rarely had any problems. It still runs MS Word and Excel as fast as ever, and still surfs the web faster than a 600 Mhz PIII antique ought to. It is still a great little back-up computer.

Now, I believe the CPU is in the process of going over the CPU rainbow, and since I can get a faster replacement CPU for next to nothing, can you please advise how I might install a new (used) CPU in my Dell Inspiron 4000?

I would need to know how to physically dismantle it and also need to know if I would need to update the bios on the machine to install a Intel Pentium III 1.0GHz 100MHz 256KB Socket 370 CPU? I would also need to know anything else that I have failed to consider/ask about.

Thank you so much for any information that you could provide.

Keith

million3g

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2007
lmao r u serious? go tot he dell website and search. actually find a tech and pay to do it. def dont it on your own. if your asking your not a tech. once i think about it find another laptop.

zephant0m

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2009

I want you to know that I have read a lot of responses from many knowledgeable people here on Tom’s Hardware on many topics that have helped me resolve various problems with my computers. I just joined this site last week to ask the specific question about my Inspiron 4000.

The fact that your “answer” to the question that I posed contained no information whatsoever and contained 18 errors in English, spelling, capitalization, and punctuation errors clearly illustrates that you are not one of the best experts on this site. My recommendations to you are as follows:

1) Don’t answer any more questions here on Tom’s Hardware until you actually know the answer and are willing to convey some useful information to the person who asked it.
2) Don’t answer any more questions here until you learn the English language, how to spell common words (or how to operate a spell-checker), and rules of punctuation and capitalization.
3) Don’t answer any more questions here until you lose your attitude.

million3g, I wish you the best of luck, and I am confident that if you follow my recommendations that the quality of the answers that you are able to provide to other users here will improve immensely.

z.