Dell Inspiron 5000 Notebook won't start

Dear All

Can anyone here help me with diagnosing what is wrong with my Dell
Inspiron 5000 Notebook?

Symptoms: With AC power attached, push power on button, green power
LED comes on, computer whirrs for a few seconds, then cuts out and
silence. Sometimes it waits a few seconds, then whirrs again for a
few seconds, then cuts out. The power LED remains on, but the
computer is unresponsive, none of the caps lock, num lock etc keys
will toggle, and nothing is displayed.

What I've tried so far:

Removing battery

Removing hard drive

Removing DVD/CD-ROM

Removing PCI card modem

Reseating memory

Removing memory

Trying memory in each available slot

Connecting an external monitor

Result: still doing the same thing, still won't start

What I think it is: Not sure, but maybe it is a fault on the
motherboard, because removing any of the above components seems to
make no difference.

Any advice about how to get this fixed welcome. Is replacing the
motherboard difficult?

Many thanks

Accelerator
UK

==============

"accelerator" <accelerator@navito.co-dot-uk.no-spam.invalid> wrote in
message news:40fad8d0$1_1@news.athenanews.com...
> Dear All
>
> Can anyone here help me with diagnosing what is wrong with my Dell
> Inspiron 5000 Notebook?
>
> Symptoms: With AC power attached, push power on button, green power
> LED comes on, computer whirrs for a few seconds, then cuts out and
> silence. Sometimes it waits a few seconds, then whirrs again for a
> few seconds, then cuts out. The power LED remains on, but the
> computer is unresponsive, none of the caps lock, num lock etc keys
> will toggle, and nothing is displayed.

The most likely suspect on a problem like this is a power supply. Don't
know how helpful that is, as you probably don't have a spare power supply to
try. -Dave

TRENDING THREADS