Dell Inspiron 5150 overheating

ken

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2004

I've called Dell so many times, I figure I've been on hold for >500
minutes in the past 2 months. At first, they would not acknowledge an
overheating problem existed in the Inspiron 5150-now they do & have
discontinued the model. Anyway, my pboblem still exists because the
idiots won't send the right parts to fix it. They either send the
wrong parts, or they'll send a partial shipment. If there is a class
action suit over this issue, I'd like to be part of the class.

On 7 Oct 2004 10:34:41 -0700, Ken wrote in

> I've called Dell so many times, I figure I've been on hold for >500
> minutes in the past 2 months. At first, they would not acknowledge an
> overheating problem existed in the Inspiron 5150-now they do & have
> discontinued the model. Anyway, my pboblem still exists because the
> idiots won't send the right parts to fix it. They either send the
> wrong parts, or they'll send a partial shipment. If there is a class
> action suit over this issue, I'd like to be part of the class.

Just curious, but what parts will make your laptop not overheat?

And did you update your BIOS? I'll bet that's your problem.

;-)

Dave
That part about the BIOS is just sarcasm directed toward a few resident
idiots, not you. :)
US Army Signal Corps!!

http://www.geocities.com/davidcasey98

Remove IH8SPAM to reply by email!

danr

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2003

There isn't an overheating problem with the 5150 and it's not discontinued,
but superseded by the 5160.

You should get yours fixed. (if you can...)

Dan

"Ken" <drymartini04@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I've called Dell so many times, I figure I've been on hold for >500
> minutes in the past 2 months. At first, they would not acknowledge an
> overheating problem existed in the Inspiron 5150-now they do & have
> discontinued the model. Anyway, my pboblem still exists because the
> idiots won't send the right parts to fix it. They either send the
> wrong parts, or they'll send a partial shipment. If there is a class
> action suit over this issue, I'd like to be part of the class.

"Ken" <drymartini04@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I've called Dell so many times, I figure I've been on hold for >500
> minutes in the past 2 months. At first, they would not acknowledge an
> overheating problem existed in the Inspiron 5150-now they do & have
> discontinued the model. Anyway, my pboblem still exists because the
> idiots won't send the right parts to fix it. They either send the
> wrong parts, or they'll send a partial shipment. If there is a class
> action suit over this issue, I'd like to be part of the class.

Get a can of compressed gas (freon) dust cleaner. Blow out the exhaust
vent(2) from the exit to free whatever dust, fibers, cat fur, etc. might
be in the air condiuts. Do this when the unit is off and cool.

BTW, what parts are you needing for this problem?

Have you tried Fangui? It's an applet that allows you to set the fans to
cool more aggressively than the Dell bios.
http://www.diefer.de/i8kfan/index.html

--
Thomas M. Goethe

> "Ken" <drymartini04@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> I've called Dell so many times, I figure I've been on hold for >500
>> minutes in the past 2 months. At first, they would not acknowledge an
>> overheating problem existed in the Inspiron 5150-now they do & have
>> discontinued the model. Anyway, my pboblem still exists because the
>> idiots won't send the right parts to fix it. They either send the
>> wrong parts, or they'll send a partial shipment. If there is a class
>> action suit over this issue, I'd like to be part of the class.
>
> Get a can of compressed gas (freon) dust cleaner. Blow out the exhaust
> vent(2) from the exit to free whatever dust, fibers, cat fur, etc. might
> be in the air condiuts. Do this when the unit is off and cool.
>
> BTW, what parts are you needing for this problem?

Freon is no longer legal in the US as a propellant for aerosols. The "Blow Off"
brand compressed air I use, is nothing but compressed air. So are the other
brands available in the office supply and electronics stores... Ben Myers

> Freon is no longer legal in the US as a propellant for aerosols. The
> "Blow Off"
> brand compressed air I use, is nothing but compressed air. So are the
> other
> brands available in the office supply and electronics stores... Ben
> Myers
>
> On Thu, 7 Oct 2004 23:45:32 -0600, "Quaoar" <quaoar@tenthplanet.net>
> wrote:
>

>>"Ken" <drymartini04@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> I've called Dell so many times, I figure I've been on hold for >500
>>> minutes in the past 2 months. At first, they would not acknowledge
>>> an
>>> overheating problem existed in the Inspiron 5150-now they do & have
>>> discontinued the model. Anyway, my pboblem still exists because the
>>> idiots won't send the right parts to fix it. They either send the
>>> wrong parts, or they'll send a partial shipment. If there is a
>>> class
>>> action suit over this issue, I'd like to be part of the class.
>>
>>Get a can of compressed gas (freon) dust cleaner. Blow out the
>>exhaust
>>vent(2) from the exit to free whatever dust, fibers, cat fur, etc.
>>might
>>be in the air condiuts. Do this when the unit is off and cool.
>>
>>BTW, what parts are you needing for this problem?

3m Dust Remover - Compressed Gas Duster.
Contains: 1,1,1,2-tetrafluoroethane CAS 811-97-2
http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/rtecs/ki10ccc8.html

Synonym: Freon 114

> <ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers)> wrote in message
>> Freon is no longer legal in the US as a propellant for aerosols. The
>> "Blow Off"
>> brand compressed air I use, is nothing but compressed air. So are
>> the other
>> brands available in the office supply and electronics stores... Ben
>> Myers
>>
>> On Thu, 7 Oct 2004 23:45:32 -0600, "Quaoar" <quaoar@tenthplanet.net>
>> wrote:
>>

>>>"Ken" <drymartini04@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>>Get a can of compressed gas (freon) dust cleaner. Blow out the
>>>exhaust
>>>vent(2) from the exit to free whatever dust, fibers, cat fur, etc.
>>>might
>>>be in the air condiuts. Do this when the unit is off and cool.
>>>
>>>BTW, what parts are you needing for this problem?

> 3m Dust Remover - Compressed Gas Duster.
> Contains: 1,1,1,2-tetrafluoroethane CAS 811-97-2
> http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/rtecs/ki10ccc8.html
>
> Synonym: Freon 114

In order to market "gas in a can" the source of the gas must be a
readily vaporized liquid. Compressed air, nitrogen, argon in a can will
last about one use since there is little mass in the can at pressure.
Target liquids are rare. Propane will work but is hardly acceptable for
any use except for self-immolation. Freons have a low heat of
vaporization and generate a suitable gas stream without significant
adiabatic cooling that will freeze the hand to the can, and are not
flammable. The only personal hazard is oxygen displacement which can be
serious in a closed environment.

Freon isn't a single compound - it's a class of compounds. The heavily
chlorinated freons like R-12 have been banned, but HFC (hydrofluorocarbons)
and some HCFCs (hydrochlorofluorocarbons) remain in distribution.

> Freon is no longer legal in the US as a propellant for aerosols. The
> "Blow Off"
> brand compressed air I use, is nothing but compressed air. So are the
> other
> brands available in the office supply and electronics stores... Ben Myers

> Freon is no longer legal in the US as a propellant for aerosols. The
"Blow Off"
> brand compressed air I use, is nothing but compressed air. So are the
other
> brands available in the office supply and electronics stores... Ben Myers

Diflourodichloromethane (Freon R12) which was a popular 'component
cooler' and also used as a propellant is banned as well as a few other
variants, but there are still lots of Freon compounds that ARE legal.

Just look in any automotive store for R134a

Mike

ken

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2004

David Casey <sgtcasey@IH8SPAMcableone.net> wrote in message news:<17ao2722qk3ui$.dlg@sgtcaseycableone.net>...
> On 7 Oct 2004 10:34:41 -0700, Ken wrote in
>
> > I've called Dell so many times, I figure I've been on hold for >500
> > minutes in the past 2 months. At first, they would not acknowledge an
> > overheating problem existed in the Inspiron 5150-now they do & have
> > discontinued the model. Anyway, my pboblem still exists because the
> > idiots won't send the right parts to fix it. They either send the
> > wrong parts, or they'll send a partial shipment. If there is a class
> > action suit over this issue, I'd like to be part of the class.
>
> Just curious, but what parts will make your laptop not overheat?
>
> And did you update your BIOS? I'll bet that's your problem.
>
> ;-)
>
> Dave
> That part about the BIOS is just sarcasm directed toward a few resident
> idiots, not you. :)

The parts are the cpu, fan & motherboard. Apparently, Dell used the
wrong cpu for this notebook.

On 11 Oct 2004 12:11:06 -0700, Ken wrote in

> The parts are the cpu, fan & motherboard. Apparently, Dell used the
> wrong cpu for this notebook.

I don't think it is the wrong one, but it might need more help keeping
cool. The faster CPU's get the hotter they run. Laptop computers
generally run hotter than the desktop models because of the cramped space
which restricts air flow.

Has anyone ever tried dry ice for cooling? Would that even work?

Hmmmm... ;-)

Dave

David Casey <sgtcasey@IH8SPAMcableone.net> wrote in message news:<1ci3c6ox0f4bn.dlg@sgtcaseycableone.net>...
> On 11 Oct 2004 12:11:06 -0700, Ken wrote in
>
> > The parts are the cpu, fan & motherboard. Apparently, Dell used the
> > wrong cpu for this notebook.
>
> I don't think it is the wrong one, but it might need more help keeping
> cool. The faster CPU's get the hotter they run. Laptop computers
> generally run hotter than the desktop models because of the cramped space
> which restricts air flow.
>
> Has anyone ever tried dry ice for cooling? Would that even work?
>
> Hmmmm... ;-)
>
> Dave

Finally, cpu, fan & motherboard have all been replaced. No
overheating issues at all. The tech said that it was the improper cpu
for this notebook computer. Nevertheless, Dell support needs a good
swift kick in the ass for dragging their feet on this. My computer
was totally useless for weeks while Dell sat on their hands. I'm
buying something other than a Dell when this one takes another (& I'm
sure it will) hit. I hope every owner of a 5150 calls Dell & demands
the new parts, cpu, fan & motherboard.

You should see if you have a friend that is a mechanic that has access
to an air compressor. I find the air compressor the most powerful
tool in getting all the dust out. Or you can check out
HardwareCooling.com they have compressed canned air priced
at $3.99.

I work on these systems all the time. The problem is in the heatsink.
The fins where the air passes over for cooling gets clogged with dust
and other stuff.

The best thing to do to correct this is as follows:
>Remove keyboard bezel
>Remove keyboard
>Remove heatshield (one screw)
>Get a vacuum and air in a can. Turn on vac, blow air into back part of system where the fan blows air out.
>Put vac over top of fan itself (to collect the dust coming out and to reduce dust in the air.
>Replace all parts in reverse order.

Or if you feel inclined, take system apart and remove heatsink, and
look through the fins to see if there is light passing through. if
not, blow the dust out. if there is, then you could have other
problems.

Hope this helps.

On 15 Oct 2004 06:46:27 -0700, drymartini04@hotmail.com (Ken) wrote:

>David Casey <sgtcasey@IH8SPAMcableone.net> wrote in message news:<1ci3c6ox0f4bn.dlg@sgtcaseycableone.net>...
>> On 11 Oct 2004 12:11:06 -0700, Ken wrote in
>>
>> > The parts are the cpu, fan & motherboard. Apparently, Dell used the
>> > wrong cpu for this notebook.
>>
>> I don't think it is the wrong one, but it might need more help keeping
>> cool. The faster CPU's get the hotter they run. Laptop computers
>> generally run hotter than the desktop models because of the cramped space
>> which restricts air flow.
>>
>> Has anyone ever tried dry ice for cooling? Would that even work?
>>
>> Hmmmm... ;-)
>>
>> Dave
>
>Finally, cpu, fan & motherboard have all been replaced. No
>overheating issues at all. The tech said that it was the improper cpu
>for this notebook computer. Nevertheless, Dell support needs a good
>swift kick in the ass for dragging their feet on this. My computer
>was totally useless for weeks while Dell sat on their hands. I'm
>buying something other than a Dell when this one takes another (& I'm
>sure it will) hit. I hope every owner of a 5150 calls Dell & demands
>the new parts, cpu, fan & motherboard.

geometmav

Reputable
May 12, 2014