Dell Inspiron 531s does not recognize hard disk

aries1357

Reputable
Jan 21, 2015
My desktop would not power on. I replaced the power supply. No it powers on but does not recognize the hard drive. It gives an error like SATA 0 None SATA 1 none SATA 2 None. How do I know the cables are connected correctly. I feel I am very close to resolving the issue but don't have a clue what next step to follow.

Solution
Hey there, aries1357!

Have you tried reseating the SATA cables to the HDD(s)? Make sure every connection within the case is plugged properly, if you encounter any issues with that, refer to your motherboard manual.
The problem might be in your new PSU because it might not be supplying power to the hard drive. You can try using a different cable to connect the PSU to the HDD. Also make sure the boot priority in BIOS is properly set.
You can determine where the problem comes from if you plug the HDD on another computer, see if it gets recognized there.
Check this thread for other troubleshooting ideas: http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/259192-psu-died-new-psu-bios-wont-recognize-sata-devices-now-wont-turn.html

Good luck...
Hey there, aries1357!

Have you tried reseating the SATA cables to the HDD(s)? Make sure every connection within the case is plugged properly, if you encounter any issues with that, refer to your motherboard manual.
The problem might be in your new PSU because it might not be supplying power to the hard drive. You can try using a different cable to connect the PSU to the HDD. Also make sure the boot priority in BIOS is properly set.
You can determine where the problem comes from if you plug the HDD on another computer, see if it gets recognized there.
Check this thread for other troubleshooting ideas: http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/259192-psu-died-new-psu-bios-wont-recognize-sata-devices-now-wont-turn.html

Good luck! Keep me posted! :)
SuperSoph_WD

Solution

aries1357

Reputable
Jan 21, 2015

aries1357

Reputable
Jan 21, 2015
Thank you for your help. The original PSU has 4 sets of cables. The one I ordered from Amazon has 5 sets. I do not know if the additional cables are there for a different computer? Where can I find the motherboard manual.
Also how can I test the original PSU? Just because the computer did not power on does it mean the PSU is bad?
I took it to one of the office supply stores and they said it will cost $300.00 to repair. I could buy a new computer for that price but now it has become more of a challenge. I know I am very close to resolving the issue and with some help I think it can be fixed.

aries1357

Reputable
Jan 21, 2015

aries1357

Reputable
Jan 21, 2015
Now the error is:
No boot device available
SATA 0: Installed
SATA 1: Installed
SATA 2: None
SATA3: None
I tried installing Vista from the original disc, it gets to a point and then asks for the device CD. When I put the Driver CD it does not complete installation and gives a message No Device installed.

Hi again, aries1357!

I'd suggest to check the boot priority in BIOS again and make sure it is set FIRST to your CD/DVD-ROM (where you put the original disk) and SECOND the HDD you wish to boot from. Make sure that HDD is plugged in the first available SATA port on the motherboard.
Try the installation again and let me know how it goes!

Hope this helps! Good luck!
SuperSoph_WD

aries1357

Reputable
Jan 21, 2015
Boot priority is set to CD/DVD first, 2nd is HDD. HDD is plugged in SAT 0 slot.
I get the same error.
When I try to run it from the original disk, it starts installing files and then asks for the drivers CD.
It then prompts to select an operating system. No operating system is listed. I am stuck at this point.
What should I do next?
Thank you

Now the screen displays;
Main Processor : AMD Athlon.....
Memory Testing: ...........
SATA 0 SAMSUNG.....
SATA 1: HL-DT-STDVD......
SATA 2: NONE
SATA 3: NONE
Diskette drive 0 seek failure.

What should I do at this point?

Hi again, aries1357!

Can you try switching the SATA ports of the CD/DVD and the HDD.
Put the CD-ROM in SATA 0 and the HDD in SATA 1, then try to install Windows again. Your drives are detected properly now, though, so we know it might not be a hardware problem at all. It might be the operating system's CD/DVD.
In which case, I'd suggest to get in touch with MS tech support and tell them about your problem with the installation of Windows.

Keep me posted! Good luck! :)
SuperSoph_WD