Dell Inspiron 531s for my camper van?!?!

icecream24

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2007
Ok. I'm restoring a 1989 VW vanagon/camper. I wanted a small desktop to run will I'm camping so I can surf/watch DVD's etc.

I chose the Dell inspiron 531s. The sales rep told me the ATI 128mb x1300 low profile card supported dual monitors, which it didn't. So the tech support told me the 256 MB card was the one I wanted. Except it wasn't a low profile card!!!! Ahh plus I need an PCI express card, and they shipped me an AGP!!! sheeesh.

So now I'm down to two problems. Trying to find a low profile card that supports dual monitors. BUT the big but is this. The 531s case comes with the weak 250watt power supply. Yikes! I guess I shouldn't trust dell sales people.

It looks pretty difficult to find a 300watt or more PSU replacement for this case. So two questions.

What would happen if I ran the card on less than the recommended power?
And where can I find the 531s power supplies? I've found PC power and cooling but no listing yet for the 531s...

This has been a Dell nitemare for me...With tech support giving me one wrong answer after another...

Please help me make my dream of WiFi camping a reality!!

thanks

Shane in Vegas...

pelispelis

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2007
Hi Icecream24 did you find a good video card ?

I have a Inspiron 531s too , and can't use my two monitors because the horrible dell support center.

I don't want to change the PSU, so i hope you can drope a line.

Thanks !

silva

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2009

That card requires a 450 watt PSU minimum