Dell Inspiron 5551 new battery won't turn on screen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 26, 2018
I have 3 Dell Inspiron 5551 laptops. One of my original batteries died. My new battery won't turn on computer when it is completely turned off. If the computer is already turned on and I swap out an original battery for the new battery, then everything works great. The new battery also works if the laptop is closed in hibernate mode and I open it to start using it. The new battery also charges correctly.

I have purchased 3 different batteries, one being original Dell battery and all 3 have done the exact same thing.

Any ideas?

Sounds like the batteries are not putting out the right amount of power needed to start it. Which I find odd if the one battery truly is a Del battery. Perhaps it isn't. I would check that battery against the one you had originally and see if anything shows on it as different. Some have sensors on them, also check the specs. That is the only thing I can think of to make this happen.

Jul 26, 2018
Thank you for your reply. I checked all the specs before purchasing and all were exactly the same as the original. Maybe it does have a chip in it and the ones I received did not? Maybe? My original Dell battery looked exactly like the original, but perhaps it wasn't "original" like I thought. After researching more, it seems you can only buy "original" Dell batteries straight from Dell themselves. That battery was around $40 and Dell sells them for $100! Heck, this computer only costs $200 when it was brand new. I guess a battery straight from Dell is the only answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.