Dell Inspiron 580 PSU

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I'm looking tp upgrade the power supply on a Dell Inspiron 580 so it can handle a a gts 250 or maybe a gtx 260.

I've read that Dell uses proprietary parts, making this impossible. I have also heard that this is untrue, and any standard ATX PSU should work.

Could someone shed some light on the situation?

Thanks!

Solution
I've heard reports that Dell used to do that years ago. I never saw any confirmed reports though. If they indeed did that in the past, they don't anymore.

I've replaced PSUs in Dell systems (mostly Optiplexes and Dimensions) with aftermarket PSUs and never had a problem.
As long as the dimensions of the case will allow a standard ATX power supply to fit, you can use an aftermarket one. From what I can see, it looks like a standard sized PSU. You may want to remove your current PSU, and measure the dimensions. Standard ATX PSU dimensions will be very similar to this:
5.9" x 3.4" x 6.3"

G

So the whole "non Dell PSU's will fry the motherboard" info is wrong? The way I understood it was that Dell uses a different kind of connection from the PSU to the motherboard. So using a non Dell PSU will cause some kind of damage to the motherboard itself.

Just want to be 100% clear before I order two 580s to mod for my family.

Thanks!

I've heard reports that Dell used to do that years ago. I never saw any confirmed reports though. If they indeed did that in the past, they don't anymore.

I've replaced PSUs in Dell systems (mostly Optiplexes and Dimensions) with aftermarket PSUs and never had a problem.

Solution
G

Cool, very good to hear!

Could you recommend a good PSU for the inspiron 580 that would work with a 260gtx? I was looking at the Ultra LSP 650watt.

That's a nice PSU. If it fits the dimensions of your tower, it would be sufficient for any single card setup. Here's a good deal on that PSU right now.
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3276573&CatId=1483

The only thing you'll need to be careful about, is your temps. That Dell case isn't going to have great airflow. Adding a higher powered video card is going to create more heat. It's also larger, so it will obstruct the airflow to some degree. If you go that route, it's just something to keep in mind.

G

It did cross my mind. Dell has their included in home warranty, which replaces anything (other than my aftermarket PSU and GPU). Even so, I should probably add a fan and punch a few holes in the side of the case!

Thanks for all your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.