Dell Inspiron 620 cpu upgrade

j0eycasco

Honorable
Jun 9, 2012
Hey all.

I have a Dell Inspiron 620 and am looking to upgrade the CPU on it.

The CPU specs are

CPU Brand: Intel
CPU Core: Dual-Core
CPU Type Pentium
CPU Speed: G630 (2.7GHz)
Smart Cache: 3MB
FSB: 5 GT/s
CPU Socket: LGA 1155

I was looking to upgrade the CPU to Intel Core i5 3570K.

Would this be a compatible upgrade with the current motherboard? If not what CPU's would be a compatible upgrade?

That's a fairly new cpu, why do you want to upgrade it?

You would need to found out what the make and model of the mobo and look up the cpu support list, or contact dell tech support.

Even if it did support the cpu, why do you want a K series? Dell and other pre-builts usually do not allow overclocking.

noreaster

Honorable
May 30, 2012
I would not advise getting the i5-3570k, the reason being that although it is physically compatible, you will not be able to utilize all of its features, instead I would suggest the Core i5-2400. It is a quad core, vs your dual, with 3.1GHz with 3.4GHz turbo boost, double the L2 and L3 cache. It does have the same integrated graphics which are not spectacular for gaming but are good for office type work. Also, it is 95Watts vs your 65Watts which is my only concern, but according to Dell's product page you should have either a 250Watt or 300Watt based on if its a slim or mini tower respectively. The brother of this processor is offered from Dell so I would be shocked if it was incompatible.
A processor with a K at the end denotes it has an unlocked multiplier for overclocking, although you can overclock some with the above processor it would be limited, but that is supposing your Dell motherboard supports it which I doubt.

Hope that helped a little.

Latest posts