Question Dell inspiron and headphones

wolfhors3

Reputable
Apr 29, 2020
Ok, maybe I'm having a stupid attack but here's my issue. My 10 yr iold son's Dell inspiron 3671 has a front headphone jack and seperate audio and mike outputs in the rear. What I'm trying to do is plug the speakers into the front jack and the headphones into the rear jack so he can use his mike. apparently when you activate the front jack it deactivates the rear output and vice versa. He almost always uses his speakers but when his brothers or sisters, who live in another state, call and want to play online he needs his mike. Is there not an easy way to just turn on or just plug in his headphones and have them, as Todd says, just work. I think I've confused myself into a corner. It seems the isse is the front headphone jack is not one that can req/use a mike.

Ok, maybe I'm having a stupid attack but here's my issue. My 10 yr iold son's Dell inspiron 3671 has a front headphone jack and seperate audio and mike outputs in the rear. What I'm trying to do is plug the speakers into the front jack and the headphones into the rear jack so he can use his mike. apparently when you activate the front jack it deactivates the rear output and vice versa. He almost always uses his speakers but when his brothers or sisters, who live in another state, call and want to play online he needs his mike. Is there not an easy way to just turn on or just plug in his headphones and have them, as Todd says, just work. I think I've confused myself into a corner. It seems the isse is the front headphone jack is not one that can req/use a mike.
You'll have to look at PCs manual but it's quite possible that front jack is combined input/output (like for phones) and rear ones are separate.

wolfhors3

Reputable
Apr 29, 2020
Nope just having a stupid attack. The front head phone jack cuts off the rear jacks. So when he wants to use his speakers he just plugs them in the front jack, when he wants to use the headphones he unplugs them. Might be a better way but that works.

Nope just having a stupid attack. The front head phone jack cuts off the rear jacks. So when he wants to use his speakers he just plugs them in the front jack, when he wants to use the headphones he unplugs them. Might be a better way but that works.
Check sound drivers control, there should be some options for simultaneous output on both connectors or to use different streams at each.