Dell inspiron laptop keyboard problem keys stop working

EriNicole

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2009
i have a dell inspiron 1501

in the middle of using it my backspace key, my t key, y key, caps, and tab keys stopped working for no aparent reason. how do i fix this? i dont believe its a virus

cipher5

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2009
Hi ,

try check ur keyboard in different applications like word, notepad and ur email...check if the keyboard keys are working or not...if no go...restart the system keep tapping F8 while its boots..select the option safe mode and check in the safe mode if the keyboard works or not...if still no go...u have to reseat the keyboard and its very easy.... check this link http://tinyurl.com/yfbyqu
Reseat the keyboard and before doing that u have to remove the hinge cover also..check the above website how to do that...So finaly even after reseating the keyboard if the keys doesnt work then the keyboard has to be replaced.

abhishekrathod50

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2011
hi EriNicole

i have same problem on ma inspiron 1501 . same keys no response.. t key, y key, caps, and tab keys stopped working
what did u do to solve this issue..

dougdougdoug

Honorable
May 13, 2012
Hi all - just had the same problems - with a Dell Studio 1555. It begun with the keys 1, 2, 3, 4, 7, 8, 9 and 0 stopping working, and I saw plenty of cases of the same thing happening to others. I thought it might be a software problem, and tried the diagnostics - but in the end, it simply was the obvious - a malfunctioning keyboard - being dell, there are plenty of replacement keyboards available on online auction sites - I got one for under £9 delivered in a couple of days, and it worked perfectly

All the best

Doug

qweisberg

Honorable
Aug 19, 2012

Hi, I HaVe a similar problem. Certain keys Can only be typed in Capital (wHile Holding sHift Key, not Caps LoCk). THe problem only oCCurs on internet appliCations suCH as tHis or faCebook. MiCrosoft word works fine. So does tHat mean my keyboard is working? SHould I still try and reset tHe keyboard? I'd ratHer not make tHat attempt as I am not tHe most Computer saVVy and if tHere is an alternatiVe solution I Can try I'd like to giVe tHat a sHot first. THanks and sorry for tHe annoying Caps.

Heather8470

Honorable
Mar 21, 2013

Heather8470

Honorable
Mar 21, 2013
qweisberg, interesting how you are having the same problems with the letter V, H, and C. Although when I am typing this to you, it isn't happening. Figures. It happens to me in social medias, in email, and other correspondence. But apparently not in this forum.
I am stumped. It did happen about 2 weeks ago and resolved all by itself, so I have no idea what to think.

Michael Hyman

Honorable
Apr 3, 2013

A lot of times it is from a water spill and when water gets under the keyboard it stops a line of circuitry that provides the electricity for that line of keys so in most cases when you have a keyboard it will need to be replaced with a new keyboard. (This is what I was told by a technician at www.nylaptopparts.com so I got a new keyboard which can be purchased here:. I would recommend reading up on the specific model before replacing it to see how easy it is to replace. Once I got the keyboard I see that they were correct and indeed it was a faulty laptop keyboard. Hope this helped somewhat.

Michael Hyman

Honorable
Apr 3, 2013

A lot of times it is from a water spill and when water gets under the keyboard it stops a line of circuitry that provides the electricity for that line of keys so in most cases when you have a keyboard it will need to be replaced with a new keyboard. (This is what I was told by a technician at www.nylaptopparts.com so I got a new keyboard which can be purchased here:. I would recommend reading up on the specific model before replacing it to see how easy it is to replace. Once I got the keyboard I see that they were correct and indeed it was a faulty laptop keyboard. Hope this helped somewhat.