Dell inspiron n5010 laptop will not recognize ram

rusalkagirl

Honorable
Aug 28, 2013
Hi, all. This is my first even mildly tech-y sort of post, I apologize if I say everything wrong. My problem is this: about a month ago, my laptop shut down without warning and has never been able to boot up since. I turned it on and received four beeps. Google informed me that this could be a problem with the memory modules, so I tried to reseat them a few times, to no avail. I, then, did a complete switcheroo to try to the isolate the problem - maybe one of the modules were bad, maybe of the memory ports (that is most likely the wrong term) is bad, so on and so forth. Nothing worked.

One thing I noticed was that the clamps on the side of the modules seemed kind of iffy - one is quite clearly crooked and unable to be moved. I have no idea how that could have happened; my laptop was purchased in 2011 and has been safe on my desk ever since. I asked a friend of him about this, but he did not seem worried and told me to buy new sticks of RAM.

So, I bought new RAM. This 4gb kit from Crucial:
http://www.crucial.com/store/mpartspecs.aspx?mtbpoid=73D1EDD8A5CA7304

It is much like what was in my computer originally, two 2gb sticks. I am positive it is compatible with my Dell Inspiron N5010 laptop. However, I installed it today, and am now receiving two beeps, over and over and over again, on startup. Do you guys have any suggestions for me? I would be happy to give more information if needed. I fear the worst.

Solution
I did a Google search and 2 beep codes for Dell BIOS means that no memory is detected or memory not properly seated.

Yes I'm also convinced the RAM should be compatible since I bought RAM often from Crucial for Dell computers and they always work.

Maybe the RAM you got is just DOA, but that would be a strange coincidence. I think you probably have a deeper problem like something defective with the RAM slots or the motherboard. Or it could be the memory controller on the CPU itself that is defective but the rest of the CPU working (because I think the CPU needs to be working in order to get beep codes).

MC_K7

Distinguished
I did a Google search and 2 beep codes for Dell BIOS means that no memory is detected or memory not properly seated.

Yes I'm also convinced the RAM should be compatible since I bought RAM often from Crucial for Dell computers and they always work.

Maybe the RAM you got is just DOA, but that would be a strange coincidence. I think you probably have a deeper problem like something defective with the RAM slots or the motherboard. Or it could be the memory controller on the CPU itself that is defective but the rest of the CPU working (because I think the CPU needs to be working in order to get beep codes).

Solution

rusalkagirl

Honorable
Aug 28, 2013

Thank you oodles for your response, I have a feeling that it is something big wrong too.

New things have begun to happen. The beeping ceased for a while. Now, it does this thing where it is on (the lights are working, I hear the fans going) but the screen is black/there is no beeping. Also, it won't even turn on if I have the charger plugged in. It makes scary, static-y sounds. :-( There is such a big array of problems and instances that I am not sure how to isolate the cause anymore.

MC_K7

Distinguished
Maybe you got a bad power supply, or something on the motherboard is bad too. It's hard to tell. I have a feeling you will have to bring it to the repair shop. With the RAM not being recognized too, I have a feeling you might have to replace the motherboard.