Dell Inspiron One 2305 Freezes

Steffwiz

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2009
I am working on a Dell Inspiron One 2305 for a friend and it is experiencing some weird issues.

First off, he claims that the start up times are much longer now than they used to be, and this behavior was sudden and not after a program install. Second, and I have experienced this personally on his system, is that file copies and program installs will hang at zero percent for extremely long times while the rest of the system will function normally. I have also noted problems with web browsing where the entire system will just freeze sometimes for a moment others require a force shutdown.

Edit: He also noted that shutdowns will sometimes never end. He explained a time where he shut it down one night and it was still trying to shut down the next morning.

Any ideas on what could be the matter? I ran Dell's built-in diagnostics and it indicated all hardware was in working condition but the hard drive failed the test. I removed the hard drive and took it home with me to run more tests. I ran Western Digital's quick test on it and it reported no problems. Also SMART reports all values within tolerances. I am running an extended test as I write this (ETA 2+ hours).

I have seen on the web that this exact model has been reported by Dell to have faulty motherboards. Could that be the cause or is there something I have overlooked? If the hard drive passes the test I figured I would do a Dell recovery partition wipe and see if the problem remains. Then assume the motherboard must be bad. Am I right in these troubleshooting steps?

Thanks for any and all help you can provide. More info on request.

Steffwiz

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2009
It turned out there was file corruption due to (I assume) some kind of malware or virus. I tried PC restore and the problem remained, leading me to believe the recovery partition was corrupted as well. Since the computer was no longer under warranty and the hard drive tested fine after the extended test, I decided to wipe the entire drive and fresh install Windows 7. This fixed the problem and it's been working fine since!

redkcir

Honorable
Apr 4, 2013

I have run across this problem on the 2305. It was giving a black screen after a while running and sometimes it would fail to boot saying it couldn't find a boot-able drive. This seemed to be a heat issue to me. This may sound silly, but I took the back off and run without it for a while. It ran fine until I replaced the cover. The 2305 has a bad heat problem due to poor circulation. I modded the back cover with two 120 mm fans to fix this.

Steffwiz

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2009

Thanks for your post. It is working fine at the moment, but if it does continue to have problems I will certainly look into the heat issue.