Dell integrated webcam isnt recognized

jimr1354

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2013
Hi all,
I have a Dell XPS M1210 laptop with integrated webcam. I am having a problem getting it to be recognized/work. I did a fresh install of Windows 7 and then went to Dell's web site and found the driver for the web cam and downloaded it. When setting up the driver, it says "web cam detected, reboot computer to finish installation". OK, so I do that and then I click on the program for the webcam and its says "no webcam found". Dell lists two drivers for the webcam and I have tried both and the same thing happens. I am running the 32 bit Windows 7. I even run a driver update program and the webcam doesn't come up to be updated. I checked in Device Manager and the webcam isn't listed at all. I have looked for Imaging Devices and nothing. The webcam used to work and I have no idea if you can check them to see it it is still operable. Anys ideas on how to get this to work?

jimr1354

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2013
The camera is integrated to the top cover. It is built in right in the middle at the top of the screen. If the cable is damaged, it would be in back of the screen between the screen and the back cover. I loaded Win7 from a disc that I have, then I went to Dell's website and downloaded the driver for the webcam. The laptop came with WinXP but the webcam does work with Win7 and Vista. None of the drivers work.

jimr1354

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2013
I did call Dell and a usual got the same answer as always: there's no information for that model computer.
What I need is the driver and utilities disk with all the drivers that were installed when it was built at the factory.
Dell does have the feature to download the ISO for the windows and drivers that were loaded but it is only available in 64 bit. I don't know if this laptop can run 64 bit.
The webcam programs do download and install but fail to in stall the driver. The Device Manager doesn't list any thing for the webcam after you install it. That's why I think I need the disk that would have came with the laptop. I don't have it.