Dell Introduces World's First InfinityEdge Monitors And 30-inch OLED Monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

indsup

Reputable
Apr 26, 2015
How can they call that infinity edge when there's other monitors out there that have smaller bezels than that? Looks like a marketing ploy/hype to me.

Uri___Pisarev

Reputable
Jan 6, 2016
Well i just got a Dell U3415W for $700, so i was hoping i would be set for MINIMUM of 5 years, but it looks like i am behind yet again.

DrakeFS

Reputable
Aug 11, 2014
How can they call that infinity edge when there's other monitors out there that have smaller bezels than that? Looks like a marketing ploy/hype to me.

Name one.

Please do, because when I find a 4k (hell maybe 1440p) bezelless monitor with g-sync (1ms response time of course), I am going to pull the trigger and buy 2. Seriously, why is it so hard to find a monitor with nearly no bezel?

biggestinsect

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
Would be nice if you could buy the panels with no stands. Save some money, less packaging. I have used the same arms for years and have a closet full of monitor stands I haven't thrown out.

sillynilly

Reputable
Jan 6, 2016
For all you no bezel people - how would the panel be mounted? How would it be kept in place? Moreover, since the panels need lighting there is always an edge to a panel since the panel itself is only one part of a multilayer system. So what is your brilliant idea on how to keep the sandwich together with no edge and yet still protect the edge?

Dismantle your current LED panel and see for yourself.

Just making a point since having a complete bezel-less design is a lot more complicated than it seems many people understand.

InvalidError

Titan

Using optical glue to hold everything together, it would be possible to be literally bezel-free. But then you would have exposed glass edges and corners, which could be dangerous. Light bleed in/out of those edges could also cause visual aberrations near the edges and corners.

ahaywood

Honorable
Jun 18, 2013
"Nothing can compare to OLED when it comes to black reproduction, and colors almost seem to leap off the screen at you, as you can see in the image at the top of this post."

I'm not sure how we are supposed to be able to see how the colors almost seem to leap off of the screen in the image provided. Most likely we are not viewing the image on an oled screen, which would be the only chance of discerning oled quality in an image.

Edit: Darn, someone already beat me to this observation.

Waysofthemaster

Reputable
Dec 19, 2015
Aluminum, Or any alloy metal could be drawn thin enough to be "virtually" zero bezel.

Or how about this, remember the Phillips displays called Ambilight? To this day hands down the best TV i've ever owned. Having a small Ambilight surround bezel makes it feel like zero bezel that is for sure. Now that wouldn't work for multi displays, but it is a wonderful tech that I'm surprised has not been further developed. I guess the consumer has chosen, but really, it was a nice looking display. That being said. Dell is a gouging machine, let's not forget this is the early PC company that used to finance you a 2600.00 pentium 2 desktop. I still have my 1700.00 17inch Inspiron 1720 laptop and what a piece of crap that thing is now. LOL. but I guess 10 years ago it was awesome. but still 17 hundred? which is really what 2500.00 when adjusted? or more? Dell has always been high priced garbage behind the curve. That's just expected of them.

G

Here we are in 2016, several grand for this lush visualization screen (4k OLED) and we're still stuck at 60Hz... OLED is awesome, don't get me wrong and I do realize this monitor is not geared towards gamers.... not that the average gamer would dish out that kind of dough for a monitor, anyhoo. It's just ashame that OLED (at this point?) cannot be pushed to at least 100-120Hz, which would be perfect!.

Just my .02 cents.

Gary Brandon

Honorable
Sep 25, 2013
I think someone at Tom's needs to look up the definitions for "razor-thin" and "almost invisible". 5.3/8.3 mm is certainly thin for a monitor bezel, but doesn't qualify for either of those descriptions outside of rank hyperbole.

I suggest you go look at an current OLED display and reassess your opinion. Any kind of LCD requires some kind of backlighting for the colors to be seen, so you'll always get some light bleed somewhere. The best you can do right now is some kind of regional dimming that cuts the backlight to areas that are supposed to be darker, but even that has limitations.

OLED, like plasma before it, generates light from the pixel cells themselves. No backlight means no bleed. Something that's supposed to be black is black, not really dark grey. The colors also get generated exactly as they're supposed to since the backlight isn't washing them out at all. Deep blacks plus accurate colors equals a screen that really pops when it's fully calibrated. No backlight also means fewer layers in assembly and a lower power draw.

Easiest way to see this is to go into a cell phone store and look at the Lumia 950. It has a fantastic OLED screen. It's even better than the OLED on my older Lumia 925.

DbD2

Reputable
Apr 14, 2015
I suggest you go look at an current OLED display and reassess your opinion. Any kind of LCD requires some kind of backlighting for the colors to be seen, so you'll always get some light bleed somewhere. The best you can do right now is some kind of regional dimming that cuts the backlight to areas that are supposed to be darker, but even that has limitations.

OLED, like plasma before it, generates light from the pixel cells themselves. No backlight means no bleed. Something that's supposed to be black is black, not really dark grey. The colors also get generated exactly as they're supposed to since the backlight isn't washing them out at all. Deep blacks plus accurate colors equals a screen that really pops when it's fully calibrated. No backlight also means fewer layers in assembly and a lower power draw.

Easiest way to see this is to go into a cell phone store and look at the Lumia 950. It has a fantastic OLED screen. It's even better than the OLED on my older Lumia 925.

Don't think you get it - we are all looking at the image at the top of the post for jumping colours using LCD monitors not OLED's so can't see anything special. We are making fun of the author not of OLED which is probably great.

SchizoFrog

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
I am planning on buying 2 Dell U2515H monitors in the coming months and I am sure that I'll be happy with them. OLED is great and everything but we are years away from having affordable monitors that use it. So maybe in another 5 years, I'll go the way of OLED... but I can't see it taking off for the masses any time soon.

cobra5000

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2008
not worse than Asus's "zero-edge" display.
Acer has the, "Zero Frame". It's not so zero.

Name one.

Please do, because when I find a 4k (hell maybe 1440p) bezelless monitor with g-sync (1ms response time of course), I am going to pull the trigger and buy 2. Seriously, why is it so hard to find a monitor with nearly no bezel?

Name one.

Name one.

Status
Not open for further replies.