Dell Intros New Line of Touchscreen Monitors

Status
Not open for further replies.

RascallyWeasel

Honorable
Aug 7, 2013
I don't really understand why anyone would want to use a fullsized monitor as a touchscreen. Assuming such a monitor would be stood up like a regular monitor using its touchscreen functionallity would cause a considerable ammount of fatiuge in a persons arms. If someone could explain the advantages a touchscreen over a regular monitor enough to justify the price I would greatly appreciate it.

digiex

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
"I don't really understand why anyone would want to use a fullsized monitor as a touchscreen. Assuming such a monitor would be stood up like a regular monitor using its touchscreen functionallity would cause a considerable ammount of fatiuge in a persons arms. If someone could explain the advantages a touchscreen over a regular monitor enough to justify the price I would greatly appreciate it. "

Vanity...

icemunk

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2009

Maybe more for business use, and either laying flat, or tilted back. Another use I can think of is multi player games developed for touchscreen (which are kinda rare). Board games would work on such a screen, but once again.. not really available.

JPNpower

Honorable
Jun 7, 2013
It's cool especially with win8...

ANYWAY, where are the high res touch screens? grr.

Oh and RASCALLYWEASEL and JOHN BAUER, this is Dell. They already have too many non touch awesome priced awesome res monitors.

notsleep

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2010
add wacom digitizer with 2k levels of pressure to these puppies and maybe i'll consider it over the wacom companion/hybrid line. :p

mx_mp210

Honorable
May 25, 2013

Well there are some graphics design programs that make use of touch for ease.....
and there can be more application which uses touch for more flexibility for inputs than mouse/keyboard methods.

Grandmastersexsay

Honorable
May 16, 2013

Because the vast majority of people can't see any pixels at 1080p. Higher resolutions make for easy marketing, not better displays .

John Bauer

Honorable
Jul 16, 2013

So you're ok with the current market stagnating?

JPNpower

Honorable
Jun 7, 2013

Dude, this is Dell... The company with the ultrasharp line of high res monitors

mcgee101

Honorable
Sep 2, 2013
"I don't really understand why anyone would want to use a fullsized monitor as a touchscreen. Assuming such a monitor would be stood up like a regular monitor using its touchscreen functionallity would cause a considerable ammount of fatiuge in a persons arms. If someone could explain the advantages a touchscreen over a regular monitor enough to justify the price I would greatly appreciate it."
Ok Well I have a great example for you.. I have a client that I am looking at replacing a cctv server for with the possibility of getting a touch screen for access to it in a seperate room.(the client is handicapped and cant keep getting into the rascal running between rooms.) The wiring is already setup for USB and VGA display and connectivity in another room so this would be perfect. She wants to just use her ipad for control over her CCTV system but that isnt going to happen that is until you get a ipad with 16 security camera connections and dont think that a$hle is going to be making that any time soon.. So this would just work out fine. she is able to lie in bed bring the monitor over to her face and tap a camera to see who might be at her front door.
Understand? .

John Bauer

Honorable
Jul 16, 2013

You mean those $1,000 monitors? Awesome priced eh?

For now X-star and those other Korean types will have to be enough I guess.

p05esto

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
No point to touchscreen at all. In fact if someone touches my monitor i slap their greasy fingers. Only suckers buy into this hype, in the real world this flops bad. We already have higher resolutions than anyone can use or see, manufacturers are struggling to find reasons that people should upgrade, like computers..... We've hit a ceiling of sorts.

JPNpower

Honorable
Jun 7, 2013

You get what you pay for. the cheap Korean stuff is utter crap. You want quality, you gotta pay for it. And the amount of actual quality Dell puts into their monitors is incredible for the price. Touch is gimmick? Use it with Win 8! Might as well get touch right? Doesn't hurt so you can't complain.

John Bauer

Honorable
Jul 16, 2013

You just have to lucky sometimes with the Korean stuff.

I don't believe touch is a gimmick, but more of a "It's there" kind of thing, and makes things more expensive. Those new Toshiba (I'm pretty sure it's toshiba) laptops have some pretty mediocre hardware inside, but has a touchscreen so they can charge $800, $900 for these crappy laptops.

It's something I'd rather not have in a monitor or laptop, it's just out of place, really.

Status
Not open for further replies.