Dell Intros New XPS Laptops; Kills Off Adamo Line

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

scook9

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2008
Also forgot to mention, the bloatware is pretty much non existent on the Alienwares :) (although what self respecting enthusiast does not fresh install anyways!)

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]TEAMSWITCHER[/nom]Every Mac is powerful enough to actually be ...a Mac.Now, I'm not saying that PC's can't be great, they sure can. It's just you have to be careful.[/citation]
So you're saying that the first MacBook Air wasn't really a Mac? Because it also had an Intel GMA.
If you spend the same money on a "PC" that you would have spent on a Mac you don't have to worry about the specs because it will be a good laptop. In fact almost all laptop nowadays comes with a dedicated graphics chip.

TEAMSWITCHER

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2008
[citation][nom]Vladislaus[/nom]So you're saying that the first MacBook Air wasn't really a Mac? Because it also had an Intel GMA.If you spend the same money on a "PC" that you would have spent on a Mac you don't have to worry about the specs because it will be a good laptop. In fact almost all laptop nowadays comes with a dedicated graphics chip.[/citation]

In the ultra-portable market the new MacBook Air has better OVERALL performance than any of it's competition and is priced better too. I'm talking about ultra-portables here, not notebooks in general. Now, If you wan't to get into an argument about notebooks, I can find a dozen reasons to buy the 15" MacBook Pro over any plastic, sticker covered, PC crap laptop at half the price. PC laptops can be cheaper, but not better than MacBook Pro.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]TEAMSWITCHER[/nom]In the ultra-portable market the new MacBook Air has better OVERALL performance than any of it's competition and is priced better too.[/citation]
Isn't the MacBook Air more expensive than the competition?
[citation][nom]TEAMSWITCHER[/nom]Now, If you wan't to get into an argument about notebooks, I can find a dozen reasons to buy the 15" MacBook Pro over any plastic, sticker covered, PC crap laptop at half the price. PC laptops can be cheaper, but not better than MacBook Pro.[/citation]
It depends on how you define better. In terms of hardware there are laptops that can do circles around any macbook pro. I can get a laptop "PC" with a quad-core i7, something I can't with any apple laptop. I can also get a laptop "PC" with a gtx400 series gpu, something i can't get with any apple.

Also a full aluminum body has it's disadvantages. When the computer is running intensive apps the macbook pro it has a tendency to warm-up quite badly. This is even worse on the i7 MacBook Pro's that reviewers found that the CPU heated dramatically reaching almost 100º. Because apple use the aluminum body as a part of the cooling system it made certain parts of the laptop simply untouchable. Funny enough laptops with the same processor but with a copper heat-sink and plastic shell don't have this problem. The CPU remains at a lower temperature when on load and the laptop itself remains at a comfortable temperature.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
[citation][nom]pocketdrummer[/nom]If they really want to recover from their tarnished reputation, they need to give an option to ship the system without bloatware.[/citation]
[citation][nom]randomizer[/nom]That would increase the price.[/citation]

besides, nerds always know how to get rid of the bloatware, so it's never really that big of a problem...bloatware helps pay for the OS

sudeshc

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2009
Dells laps perform as they are advertised to be. I like those Adamo line but they better be killed for some more improvement.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]JMcEntegart[/nom]I agree that it deserved the hype as they are gorgeous machines (I was looking into buying one yesterday, actually). I also don't think they needed to ditch the brand completely; they just needed to rename it Adama.[/citation]
And on top of everything else, Jane is a Battlestar Galactica fan
Is there anything this girl can't do?

oh2bamonkey

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2010
Dell and other PC laptop makers, please stop selling 15.6 inch screens at 1366x768 resolution, and stop saying "15.6" HD (720p)", especially if you are trying to market your laptop as a higher end multimedia machine. 1366 x 768 is not high definition for a laptop.

Apart from being evil, know what else Apple gets right? their screens. 1440 x 900 on the 15 inch Macbook Pro.

Yes i know the new XPS can be upgraded to "1080p" for $130, but many PC holdouts out there don't know to upgrade and then wonder why their buddy's Macbook pro looks so much nicer. Eventually they cave in, and switch; once they have saved enough money that is.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]oh2bamonkey[/nom]Dell and other PC laptop makers, please stop selling 15.6 inch screens at 1366x768 resolution, and stop saying "15.6" HD (720p)", especially if you are trying to market your laptop as a higher end multimedia machine. 1366 x 768 is not high definition for a laptop. Apart from being evil, know what else Apple gets right? their screens. 1440 x 900 on the 15 inch Macbook Pro.Yes i know the new XPS can be upgraded to "1080p" for $130, but many PC holdouts out there don't know to upgrade and then wonder why their buddy's Macbook pro looks so much nicer. Eventually they cave in, and switch; once they have saved enough money that is.[/citation]
A screen with a resolution of 1366x768 is an HD screen. TV / Monitor maker label their screen as HD when it's capable of at least 720p (1280x720) and Full HD when it's capable of at least 1080p (1920x1080).

About the resolution, at least in my country, it really depends on the money you spend on a laptop. Cheap laptops have a tendency to have screen resolution of about 1366x768, more expensive laptops usually have a 1920x1080 lcd screen.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]Vladislaus[/nom]A screen with a resolution of 1366x768 is an HD screen. TV / Monitor maker label their screen as HD when it's capable of at least 720p (1280x720) and Full HD when it's capable of at least 1080p (1920x1080).About the resolution, at least in my country, it really depends on the money you spend on a laptop. Cheap laptops have a tendency to have screen resolution of about 1366x768, more expensive laptops usually have a 1920x1080 lcd screen.[/citation]
I have a nearly 7 year old Acer Ferrari 4005 with a 15.4 inch screen that can do 1680 x 1050.
That was 7 years ago.
In today's laptop world having a 15-ish inch screen that is not full HD 1080p is scandelous.

Status
Not open for further replies.