Dell Intros New XPS Laptops; Kills Off Adamo Line

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]randomizer[/nom]Isn't the Adamo line only 1 or 2 laptops anyway? They hyped that line up so much, and it hasn't even lasted 2 years.[/citation]
It has a lot to be hyped. It is the thinnest laptop ever made. Even the new Macbook air is thicker than the Adamo.

JMcEntegart

Splendid
Aug 25, 2007

I agree that it deserved the hype as they are gorgeous machines (I was looking into buying one yesterday, actually). I also don't think they needed to ditch the brand completely; they just needed to rename it Adama. :love:

G

Wait people buy laptops without Core 2 duo cpus...

Why has Steve Jobs not been told of this!

Spanky Deluxe

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
Great news for Dell. As far as I've always been concerned, they make the best laptops after Apple and have great support. The Adamo line needed to go though, it may have been thin but it was ugly as sin. In many ways thin expensive laptops are a style statement and the only style statement Adamos made was that owners had no sense of style.

pocketdrummer

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
If they really want to recover from their tarnished reputation, they need to give an option to ship the system without bloatware. They need to can all the cheap plastic parts and go with aluminum (might I recommend black as a direct contrast to Apples's silver). Minimize unnecessary curves in the chassis that don't serve a purpose both functionally and aesthetically.

Why is this such a hard concept?

G

"randomizer 10/23/2010 7:16 AM Hide -0+ .
pocketdrummer wrote :

"If they really want to recover from their tarnished reputation, they need to give an option to ship the system without bloatware. "

That would increase the price."

Hmmmm i work for dell on the business lines, so lat/vostro/precision and you can dump the bloatware during the order on them. I honestly dont know if you can do it on the consumer ones. frankly they are nicer machines quality wise anyway baring the alienwares if you can tolerate less "oh shiney".

Plus remember dell doesnt ship "restore" discs with the machines when you order discs, you get a real windows disc so in 30 minutes you can have that clean os...........now only if the driver discs werent completely miserable. I really wish ours were like asus's driver discs.

trih

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
[citation][nom]randomizer[/nom]That would increase the price.[/citation]
Well is that such a bad thing for a "better" computer?

Spanky Deluxe

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
[citation][nom]trih[/nom]Well is that such a bad thing for a "better" computer?[/citation]

In my opinion no but if you look at all the bashing of Apple products on this site due to their high prices and comments such as "I can get just a Dell just as powerful for half the price" style comments, most people on here don't value design quality, materials used or looks high at all.

The problem for Dell is that people that do care about those things are going to be hard pushed to consider buying a Dell over an Apple at a similar price point with similar amounts of money spent on those factors.

pocketdrummer

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
[citation][nom]randomizer[/nom]That would increase the price.[/citation]

God forbid they have to rely on clever workmanship and choice of parts to keep the price down. They can't compete with more expensive brands and still retain the junk that forced users away in the first place.

theoutbound

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
It's about time Dell made a change. Cutting product lines and concentrating on improving the brands everyone knows might be enough to bring Dells reputation back to a respectable level. Or they could still screw it up. We need some laptop benchmarks from the new XPS line.

TEAMSWITCHER

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2008
[citation][nom]Vladislaus[/nom]It has a lot to be hyped. It is the thinnest laptop ever made. Even the new Macbook air is thicker than the Adamo.[/citation]
[citation][nom]rohitbaran[/nom]What about Studio brand?[/citation]

The new MacBook Air is superior to the Adamo. Instead of using Intel Graphics, Apple uses the integrated nvidia 320M chip, that has 48 "cuda" cores. Apple's own iLife applications use their Core Animation framework that requires good graphics to makes these apps shine. Dell has no problem selling an graphically challenged computer like the Adamo, that will have trouble running the latest crop of Windows apps developed using the Windows Presentation Foundation. That's a key difference between Apple and many of the PC makers. Every Mac is powerful enough to actually be ...a Mac.

Now, I'm not saying that PC's can't be great, they sure can. It's just you have to be careful.

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
I got a deal in email for the new XPS a couple days ago, but the 420M is to slow for me. I looked into the Alienware's 15" models because I don't want to lug a 17 and those have an ATI 5850M or a 260M. Neither of those are much faster than my current 9800M GTX.

molo9000

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
Dell competing with Apple?
Not if Dell keeps shipping laptops that feel like tic tac boxes and creak and rattle like they are going to fall apart next week.

scook9

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2008
If they are using Flextronics as the ODM like they do for the Alienware line these should be solid. My M17x is built like a tank and has NO creaks or signs of wear after over a year of use now. The next business day on site warranty is the best in the world as well.....it really is next day....like, tech at your house with new part in under 24 hours.....(used a few times now - because I broke it, not because it was cheap from dell)

Status
Not open for further replies.