Dell laptop battery problems

RR4Life

Reputable
Dec 6, 2015
My Dell Inspiron 15 5000 is a strange laptop. This is now the next problem/query I have with it. The battery icon in the corner of the taskbar shows as empty, and if you hover over it for battery information and how much battery is remaining, it just shows 'Unknown remaining'. On the front of the laptop itself there is a light that shows clear white when you turn the laptop on, and then after a few seconds it goes off again. But for some reason, the light stays on and then starts flashing the normal clear white and then orange, and then continues to do this? Anyone got any ideas?

There's obviously a problem with the battery if it says "Unknown remaining". The circuitry for measuring the battery charge is built into the battery and some of the connectors from the battery to motherboard is the communication channel between the two.

If the battery is removable, remove, clean the contacts, re-install it, and try again. If it's nor removable you'll need to send it back to Dell or take it to a qualified repair shop.

The manual should tell you what the different colors of the LED mean.

RR4Life

Reputable
Dec 6, 2015

Thanks for this! I'll check the manual for the lights, and I'll have a go at cleaning the contacts!

TRENDING THREADS