Question Dell Laptop Boot from USB not working

Josh17

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2013
Just not long got a new Dell 7506 2 in 1 laptop. I could only get one with a 512GB SSD but wasn't fussed as the price was good. I have now got a new 2TB SSD for it.

As I hadn't setup the laptop much on the old SSD, I have installed the new SSD and was going to install windows 10 from USB - no need to clone from old to new - plus I don't have a way to do this with 2 M.2 drives. But for the life of me I cannot boot from the USB. No matter what I try the USB does not show up in the BIOS or boot menu.

So far I have tried -
  1. Disabling fast boot
  2. Disabling secure boot
  3. Making sure USB boot is turned on
  4. Tried different USB ports
  5. Tried different USB sticks and external HDDs
  6. Totally formating the USB stick
I am really not sure what else I can try. By the looks of things this BIOS does not have a legacy mode. Under boot sequence it says "NOTE: Lgacy mode is not supported on this platform"

Has anyone got any suggestions as to what I can try? Really thought this would be pretty straightfoward - upgraded my SSD on my last Dell 2 in 1 3 times!

Lutfij

Titan
No matter what I try the USB does not show up in the BIOS or boot menu.
Did you refabricate your bootable USB installer for Windows 10 using Windows Media Creation Tools? If not, now's a good time to do so. You should be able to hit F2 or F8 or F10, I forgot what key it was but one of them will allow you to select drive to boot off of. You don't need to be in legacy mode, mind you, just need a bootable USB installer.

Edit, the key should be F12, mash it just after pressing the power button.

Josh17

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2013
No matter what I try the USB does not show up in the BIOS or boot menu.
Did you refabricate your bootable USB installer for Windows 10 using Windows Media Creation Tools? If not, now's a good time to do so. You should be able to hit F2 or F8 or F10, I forgot what key it was but one of them will allow you to select drive to boot off of. You don't need to be in legacy mode, mind you, just need a bootable USB installer.

Edit, the key should be F12, mash it just after pressing the power button.
Yes used Windows Media Creation Tools and it does not show up when pressing F12 :(